Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. I have a 2013 Optima Hybrid that I've owned since 2014. It has 160k miles on it, and has never given me any problems. It's been a real dream to own and drive. The most "major" work I've ever had to do was replacing the CV axles, which I just did a few weeks ago. I've been using it strictly for Uber for the last couple years. Last week coming home at the end of my Uber day, the car overheated. I checked the coolant reservoir, and it was bone dry. I added some coolant and checked for leaks, and noted how much was in the reservoir, and then drove on. After about 15 miles, the temp light came on again. I stopped and checked the coolant again, and it didn't seem that it lost any. But I topped it off anyway and made the decision to get it to the dealership, which was only about 10 miles away. Well, it didn't make it. Going up a long, but not very steep hill, it lost power and the temp light came on again, and I pulled off the road and called a tow for the last few miles to the dealership. They determined it had a blown head gasket, and the remedy is to replace the engine. They gave an estimate of about $6300 for labor and a replacement engine with about 70k miles on it and a 12k mile warranty, which will only last about 6 or 7 months using it for Uber. Questions I have...
Is this the only option to fix the problem?
Is the price right?
Should I use another shop besides the dealer?
How many more miles can I expect to get out of the car?
If it were you, would you do this or just get another car?

Thanks in advance.

B77

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
Sure that would fix it, right?

Normally, an overheated engine that blows a head gasket needs an upper engine job only. Heads removed, taken to head shop to repair any cracks or warps, then re-install. Far less than $6 grand.

Stealer is trying to take you.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Those engines in the hybrid have had problems, but the labor to pull it apart and repair the engine, better off getting a replacement if any available in your area. Check the following and if you find one locally, call the yard and either they do installs, or know of a shop that does, so get a complete price, and hopefully being a hybrid doesn't add a fortune to the job.
www.car-part.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not much luck from that site, and the prices aren't good either. The few listings are just parts warehouses, no shops. And nothing really close by. I've done a quick search on other sites before and found them for $2300-2700 shipped, in the same condition as the one the dealership is getting. I don't know what the dealership is charging, as they only gave me a total price. I've asked for an itemized estimate to be emailed to me, but it was after hours so I won't get a response until tomorrow.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
What was the reasoning for going straight to replace engine, instead of replacing the gasket?

Years ago I had a similar situation on a Toyota 4Runner V6, and it was like $1200 to fix the problem, kept the old engine that ran fine afterward.

So I'm confused why your shop said to replace the engine with no explanation. Do you think next time they'll just say to replace the entire car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What was the reasoning for going straight to replace engine, instead of replacing the gasket?

Years ago I had a similar situation on a Toyota 4Runner V6, and it was like $1200 to fix the problem, kept the old engine that ran fine afterward.

So I'm confused why your shop said to replace the engine with no explanation. Do you think next time they'll just say to replace the entire car?
They figure if it was driven any real distance overheating the shortblock deck face will be warped to ****. And don't want to screw themselves and eat an engine if they quote a headgasket and then find out on the teardown the block or head or both are junk because the flatness is out of spec and wont seal right worth a crap. These aluminum engines nowadays don't like excess heat at all.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Not much luck from that site, and the prices aren't good either. The few listings are just parts warehouses, no shops. And nothing really close by. I've done a quick search on other sites before and found them for $2300-2700 shipped, in the same condition as the one the dealership is getting. I don't know what the dealership is charging, as they only gave me a total price. I've asked for an itemized estimate to be emailed to me, but it was after hours so I won't get a response until tomorrow.
You looking at the correct site/engine?
There are a 1000 engines listed and most in the $1500/$2000 range and probably $1000+ to install?????

As the value is far below the estimate to fix, time to junk the car, or sell it as-is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only 15 in my state ranging $2100-$2500, and they are all parts warehouses, not shops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts