Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I'm in the process of buying a 2013 Optima EX with 67K from a private seller. I've been driving a 2013 Toyota Sequoia and needed something that gets better mileage on the highway. All recommended maintenance and recalls done. I am buying it from the son of the owner who passed away recently. He lives in my old neighborhood and I found it on a closed group on FB for the neighborhood.

The only issue is that the Carfax showed front end damage back in 2014. The seller was surprised to see this, and told me he didn't remember his mom being in an accident. He seems to be honest and we have many friends in common. He reached out to his sister and she didn't remember anything either. I had the vehicle inspected and other than a slightly less than perfect gap (could be normal) where the bumper meets the fender there is no evidence of body work. For an $8,500 commuter car I'm not worried about it.

It will need brakes soon, has new but low end tires and the passenger door speaker is a little muddy. Other than that it is in pristine condition. Ever so slight tick from the top end of the engine, but the mechanic said as long as I use OEM oil filters it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Tick could be from the high capacity pump and the '13 is a year for the engine problem, recall, updates, so check with Kia (vin) and see what needs to be done, if anything. When all the recalls, updates done, the engine will come with a lifetime engine warranty to cover the debris problem. That's just a catch all Kia uses for their engine problems.

Decent transportation vehicle, but check the A/C to make certain you have cold air shortly after startup. The valve in the compressor has a tendency to deteriorate and most will say a new compressor is in order, big bucks, but other than that, mostly normal items need to be addressed, but with only 67k miles, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AC seemed fine. And I had a trusted mechanic check it out.

Is it only certain VINs affected by the engine issues? My GF has a 14 Sonata that was checked for something when she had the steering coupler done. This Optima has had the steering issue fixed too.

My Sequoia is at 104k without a hiccup. Hoping for the same reliability from the Optima.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Personally I think all have the possibility to disintegrate, but much higher on the earlier years <'15.
I wouldn't put Toyota and Kia in the same class. Toyota has proven itself, Kia not so much.
Toyota sales last year 2,128,201 and market share, steady, Kia 589,673 and market share on the way down ever since 2016.

You'll be happy with the fuel mileage though.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,179 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

I think it sounds like a good deal, especially if the title is clear on it.

You can always give Kia your VIN and they can check for any recalls for you.

Hope to see you around the forum with your new ride.

If you end up getting it, and want to get some good rotors and pads, let us know. ;)

-David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks David. I did call Kia and there are no open recalls. One owner car being sold by the owner's son as the owner passed away. I'm picking it up tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts