Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I go by Joecorvair. My wife's car is the Kia. It has almost 150k miles and luckily has been a very good reliable car and passed the engine recall test. Recently it has been making a short growl / snort noise when accelerating from a stop. I listened to it with my wife pressing the gas with the brake and it sounded like was in the intake area. I could feel a vibration that felt like the sound was in the silencer in the intake hose. I took the hose off and shook it and nothing. Then I took off the air filter cover and it rattled when I shook it. The carbon looking filter that says "do not remove" was a little loose so I put some rubber sealant in the corners (not on the air filter seal area) and after it dried put it back together and voila no noise!
Hope this helps someone. I saw a forum question from earlier this month that sounded like the same issue but I could not post because I'm new here.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you for the heads up, I posted earlier on what seems might be the same thing. I will check on it this week end!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I took my whole intake apart and cleaned the throttle body while I was at it. My system had no carbon filter in the air cleaner box and nothing ratteling. Everything looked great, put it back tougether and still have that snorting noise at initial throttle and again it is more pronounced when the AC is on. Last week I was in the Home Depot parking lot and I heard another LX making the same noise?

·
Registered
42 Posts
OMG Problem found... this noise has baffeled me for a while now. Could not figure it out and finally took it to the dealer under extended warranty and after talking to the tech to explain how and when the noise would appear, it turned out to be the tensioner pully for the surpentine belt. I pride myself on working on my cars my whole life and I did not get this. Harmonics?? I swear it sounded like an intake issue. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
A-Breit
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing