Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the car died last night about 2 miles from the local Kia dealership and had car towed there. Today the service guy calls and said the engine is seized and Kia will replace the engine at no cost b/c of the lawsuit/extended warranty. I bought used with 10K miles in 2014 and is just shy of 90K miles.

Stupid question, what engine is used to replace, a new engine or refurbed? Is it an exact replacement 2.4L or a new design etc?

When they said they would replace they recommended a 'parts kit' (belts, hoses, antifreeze flush, etc) for $370 and tranny flush/fill for $199. Now I thought this was odd b/c I would think items would also be covered under the warranty. So this new engine could cost me $600.

Is this the normal thing with the replacement of is the dealer trying to 'screw' me into $600? This past fall, less than 10K miles I had both the antifreeze and tranny flushed/filled at the dealership, so I do not want to pay for them AGAIN. I really do not trust this dealer. I have brought it there for recalls in the past and they ALWAYS recommend $500 - $700 worth of repairs that my regular mechanic says is not needed.

Just curious what other folks experiences with the engine replacement under warranty.

TIA for any guidance.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,886 Posts
Did they offer to drain the air out of the tires, and put fresh new air in?

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
64 Posts
It's not needed, just replace the engine.

I'm not sure I think it's a new 2.4l not sure they are allowed to referb them with the recall thing etc.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,851 Posts
Just have them replace the engine, no extras and you'll not spend a dime.
They'll take care of everything, new oil, coolant, but will use the same belt, pulleys, etc.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Service guys told me, it's a remanufactured long block engine with a lifetime warranty. The belt and hoses are original, I'll probably have them replaced. Those are wear items and probably not a bad idea (for me). Tranny fluid only has 5K miles so that is good. $400 for new engine, starter, belt, hoses etc sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks for your help guys!

KingFatty, I decided to go with new air. I'm guessing you have some hot air to share.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,851 Posts
I've heard that before, a remanufactured engine, but I have doubts about that. With all the blocks/cranks destroyed, hard for me to believe they'd bore out blocks, use oversized pistions, cut cranks and use matching bearings, and then all the head work to boot.
We're not talking about a few engines, we're working our way to 300,000.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Service guys told me, it's a remanufactured long block engine with a lifetime warranty. The belt and hoses are original, I'll probably have them replaced. Those are wear items and probably not a bad idea (for me). Tranny fluid only has 5K miles so that is good. $400 for new engine, starter, belt, hoses etc sounds reasonable to me.
You should only have to pay for the belt and hose parts, not the labor. They would have needed to do a disconnect and reconnect anyways.

Why do you need a new starter? Were you constantly using the Start-Stop Mode?
I put a toothpick in my Start-Stop electronic switch at 1k miles. That thing drove me nuts every time I stopped in gear.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Optima
1 Posts
OK, the car died last night about 2 miles from the local Kia dealership and had car towed there. Today the service guy calls and said the engine is seized and Kia will replace the engine at no cost b/c of the lawsuit/extended warranty. I bought used with 10K miles in 2014 and is just shy of 90K miles.

Stupid question, what engine is used to replace, a new engine or refurbed? Is it an exact replacement 2.4L or a new design etc?

When they said they would replace they recommended a 'parts kit' (belts, hoses, antifreeze flush, etc) for $370 and tranny flush/fill for $199. Now I thought this was odd b/c I would think items would also be covered under the warranty. So this new engine could cost me $600.

Is this the normal thing with the replacement of is the dealer trying to 'screw' me into $600? This past fall, less than 10K miles I had both the antifreeze and tranny flushed/filled at the dealership, so I do not want to pay for them AGAIN. I really do not trust this dealer. I have brought it there for recalls in the past and they ALWAYS recommend $500 - $700 worth of repairs that my regular mechanic says is not needed.

Just curious what other folks experiences with the engine replacement under warranty.

TIA for any guidance.
When Kia rebuilds the defective engines they only replace the cylinder block. Accessories such as water pump, cylinder heads, alternator, etc are reused from origin engine. With 90,000 miles on your engine, it would be wise to have new belts and hoses installed. Replacing tranny fluid is also recommended at that mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts

TIA for any guidance.
Good questions, kind of concerned if this will happen while driving on a freeway!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is literally the same engine, but new.
I had a Kia Optima 2015 just a couple of weeks ago.
I finally traded it in for a Toyota. I would advise you to do the same or get out of your Kia. I was talking to a Kia mechanic on a pay to talk to a mechanic that works on your vehicle. He told me that this could quite possibly be a reoccurring issue.
So, sure you'll have a lifetime warranty for your engine, but they will use that against you and try to sell you other stuff to get something out of you.
However, my odometer was only at 53,000 so perhaps like one of the users above mentioned, your reading of 90k might need new parts.
But get out of your Kia asap. I wanted to support my people, but even so they let me down. Your kia is literally losing value as we speak, every day.
So unless you will be driving it into the ground, you're going to be out when it comes to you needing a new vehicle again. Your trade in value will be nothing.
Trade it in while you still have decent price tag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good questions, kind of concerned if this will happen while driving on a freeway!
this actually happened to me on the freeway...
I had to slowly drive it to a friend's house and get it towed the next day.
Took one month to get my car back.
They're not ones to get a warranty work done quicker than paid jobs obviously.

·
Registered
2 Posts

TIA for any guidance.
They were just trying to say it may be easier to do it now since everything will be taken apart. I would think they would give some type of price adjustment since it will be easier on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts

TIA for any guidance.
Just had mine replaced 2 months ago. It’s a new block and it comes with a lifetime warranty. The engine itself shows no appreciable difference in performance and if it dies, who cares bc they’ll replace it again. Make sure you get a free rental car bc they usually have to have the engines shipped in and it can take a few weeks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,851 Posts
But who wants to keep going to the dealership to get a new engine though?
To me that's a comical statement as the new engine took a total 4 hours of my time, but of course I've been around cars my entire life, but for the people that might go bezerk when they hear about the problem, it can be a disheartening experience, not to mention the depreciation that has plagued these vehicles.
I said it before, I'm always looking for a bargain, so the SWP I purchased back in 2016, all options $8,000, list $32,000, great looking car, great acceleration with the 2.0T, rides like a truck, rock hard seats, but for a DD it's a great car, but no comparison to the wife's Acura TL.

My son in law had quite a reaction when he encountered the problem. A few months ago, we met for dinner on a Sat. night and he was upset, so the daughter explained that their 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe they purchased new, had jerked slightly and the CEL came on as they were pulling into the driveway. Long story
short, read the code, explained the 2000 rpm limit, what might occur if they keep driving, and that Hyundai will install a new engine. Dropped the SUV off Monday and 11 days later drove home with a new engine. They had just purchased a 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec SUV and were going to trade in the Santa Fe for a new second vehicle, but with the new engine, decided to keep the Santa Fe. Worked out for them.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SX
11 Posts
Don't forget, part of the lawsuit agreement covers you for a rental vehicle while they have yours
I can confirm this. As long as the failure meets the requirements for the recall/warranty extension, they will provide a car. Just got the call that my engine is getting replaced today. I opted for new rad hoses but they said everything else looks ok.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts