Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil light started flickering at idle after warming up. First mechanic replaced the oil sender but that didn’t help. The CEL came on and I took it in again and they said it was a P0018 and I needed new solenoids. After that, both lights are still on and they suggest taking it to dealer for theta 2 recall. Dealership has currently had it for 3 weeks with several updates that they can’t figure out what’s wrong. They finally called yesterday and said I have metal shavings in my oil pan and I need a long block engine replacement. Also, that it isn’t covered under warranty because 1) I didn’t get the KSDS completed and 2) it passed bearing rod clearance test. I asked that he check again because I definitely did get the KSDS done and he was able to see that I did but that it passed the bearing clearance so they still won’t warranty it. Any suggestions to move forward?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
Why did the car throw the CEL - was it just for the P0018 or something more?

Metal shavings can appear in the pan of perfectly healthy cars. Is there any evidence that you actually need engine replacement? Other than the metal shavings?

Look, they can't even figure out how to diagnose your car. I'm guessing the metal shavings are just made up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why did the car throw the CEL - was it just for the P0018 or something more?

Metal shavings can appear in the pan of perfectly healthy cars. Is there any evidence that you actually need engine replacement? Other than the metal shavings?

Look, they can't even figure out how to diagnose your car. I'm guessing the metal shavings are just made up.
As far as I know, just the P0018 code. The oil pressure is also very low at 8psi. They just said long block engine replacement needed with no other information except that it didn’t qualify for warranty.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
As far as I know, just the P0018 code. The oil pressure is also very low at 8psi. They just said long block engine replacement needed with no other information except that it didn’t qualify for warranty.
Just drive it until it seizes then they should be forced to cover replacement.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,396 Posts
If they don't cover it now, they won't cover it in the future as all the info will be available when using the VIN. The inspection for a knock is completely different than the KSDS update. Check with Kia direct to see if the update was done, but if it hasn't been done, no engine, no warranty.

I'll stick my neck out and say the update probably wasn't done as if it had been , the CEL when the engine developed a knock would have been P1326.

Let us know,
Good luck with the crappy engine.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
If they don't cover it now, they won't cover it in the future as all the info will be available when using the VIN. The inspection for a knock is completely different than the KSDS update. Check with Kia direct to see if the update was done, but if it hasn't been done, no engine, no warranty.

I'll stick my neck out and say the update probably wasn't done as if it had been , the CEL when the engine developed a knock would have been P1326.

Let us know,
OP stated that the stealership is giving them the run around by saying the update wasn't done and then saying it was so I don't know what you're getting at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have thought about doing this. Is there anyway that they can turn around and say I ignored their suggestion for a new engine and am now liable?

Let us know,
OP stated that the stealership is giving them the run around by saying the update wasn't done and then saying it was so I don't know what you're getting at.
Also, the engine hasn’t developed a knock yet…so, I agree with chauncey.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
I have thought about doing this. Is there anyway that they can turn around and say I ignored their suggestion for a new engine and am now liable?

Also, the engine hasn’t developed a knock yet…so, I agree with chauncey.
They will probably give you the run around again but the lifetime warranty should cover the fact that it either throws the knock code or metal shavings so I would call up Kia corporate and complain so that at least that may be on file. idk they're becoming more shady about this. either way it seems like they're trying to have you pay for it and whether you pay for it now and really doesn't need to be replaced or pay for it when it really needs to be replaced or they may cover it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,396 Posts
(y) Reread the post and did see they stated that the KSDS was indeed updated. If that's the case, then I would consider that one could drive the car, BUT the
lifetime warranty is for the "debris" issue only, so if the stealership comes up with another reason for the problem, the warranty will not be provided. The dealership isn't making the decision on their own as when they do their inspection they are to contact Hyundai/Kia for direction. When mine was replaced for oil consumption, the decision came about 6 hours after they pulled the car into the shop.

Over the last year or so, Hyundai/Kia have been very reluctant to do engine replacements when the car doesn't have the P1326. It seems as though if the KSDS update has been done, but no code, they are at a loss, so decline warranty. This is why I always suggest that when problems first arrive, just keep driving the car, keeping the oil full, until the KSDS system recognizes a knock, get it to a stearship, then no question as to responsibility.

There have been many that have encountered engine problems, no CEL, no warranty.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I still would NOT have them do any work without a proper diagnosis.

I get the impression they cannot even figure out what is causing the lights to come one.

I would not trust anything they say. Please take your car to a different dealership and see if they can do a proper diagnosis to figure out why the two lights are coming on.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
I still would NOT have them do any work without a proper diagnosis.

I get the impression they cannot even figure out what is causing the lights to come one.

I would not trust anything they say. Please take your car to a different dealership and see if they can do a proper diagnosis to figure out why the two lights are coming on.
The only thing i can think of is maybe an oil pump pickup is clogged or pump is bad itself. probably wouldn't be a bad idea to use thinner oil and install one of those magnetic oil pan drain plugs. 63,000 miles is so low and for them to say an engine is needed on someone's own dime when there is a recall is ridiculous.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing i can think of is maybe an oil pump pickup is clogged or pump is bad itself. probably wouldn't be a bad idea to use thinner oil and install one of those magnetic oil pan drain plugs. 63,000 miles is so low and for them to say an engine is needed on someone's own dime when there is a recall is ridiculous.
Called today to let them know I was going to come pick it up. They confirmed that they don’t have a dx for the engine failure. I guess I don’t really understand how it is engine failure if it’s still running, but I don’t know anything about cars. Appreciate all the discussion and help from everyone!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If I understand correctly, the only way the shop "decided" there was an engine failure was due to supposed metal shavings being supposedly "found." Right?

I wonder if there is any evidence of the metal shavings. Or if there is any evidence that they removed the drain pan (e.g., new gasket material). Did they even explain how they found the metal shavings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I understand correctly, the only way the shop "decided" there was an engine failure was due to supposed metal shavings being supposedly "found." Right?

I wonder if there is any evidence of the metal shavings. Or if there is any evidence that they removed the drain pan (e.g., new gasket material). Did they even explain how they found the metal shavings?
They couldn’t figure out what was going on. They called and asked if they could remove the oil pan and let me know that it would be an extra charge. Three days after that, they called and said metal shavings in the oil pan and they were sending the photos to Kia. Then, engine failure and no warranty due to clearance test passing.

I’m honestly not sure what is going on now. They just called and left a message asking when I would be towing it out. It was running when I dropped it off so…not sure why it would need a tow now. I’ll have to call tomorrow and see what is happening as they aren’t answering now. Maybe it died completely while there and I am misunderstanding?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,396 Posts
They just called and left a message asking when I would be towing it out. It was running when I dropped it off so…not sure why it would need a tow now. I’ll have to call tomorrow and see what is happening as they aren’t answering now. Maybe it died completely while there and I am misunderstanding?
Maybe they left the oil pan off. What a mess to deal with!
Where are you located?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts