Kia Optima Forums banner

2013 Kia sx now has 88,000 trouble free miles

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  K5 Optima Store 
#1 ·
With all the negative comments about Kia reliability. I just wanted to report that I bought my 2013 Kia Optima sx in February 2014. I will say I got one heck of a deal on it. If I recall correctly I paid 27k with the nav and all the screen upgrades etc.

Flash forward 5.5 years and the only extra cash I have put into it is: one $100 adjustment to the turbo waste gate, 2 sets of $55 spark plugs, a cracked rear brake lens - $55 on eBay and easy to replace, several sets of tires and OEM oil filters I bought off eBay and synthetic oil. That’s it!

I’ve also added the auto mirror mod (love it) and just added the passenger seat riser. (Short wife). Super hassle to install but now that it is in she is very happy.

I’m hoping to keep this vehicle until 200-250k miles or more????

Has anyone been able to get 200-300k out of a Kia Optima????

My only complaints are the low profile tires that seem to wear out way too quickly. I go through a set every 2 years or 30k. But I drive way way too fast so this honestly could be my fault. The insurance premiums seem high compared to other vehicles. I don’t like synthetic oil requirement. Spark plugs need to be changed pretty frequently. But easy to do myself so not a big deal there.

The sealed transmission is great in that at least I don’t have to worry about the transmission fluid getting screwed up by an idiot auto tech. Love that it takes regular gas. Mileage is pretty lousy but gas prices have stayed relatively low and like I said I drive like a madman quite a bit with all that power and handling. Just too fun not to.

Oh and the trunk space is awesome! We can fit more stuff in my optima trunk than we can in my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee (unless it is a giant single item like a Home Depot trip)

Well just wanted to say hi to everyone since I really love my car. It is a joy to drive to work with the 278 hp.

I might buy another Kia in the future but I really hope this one gets me into retirement and beyond!!!! Thanks Kia!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yikes! I have been averaging 16k miles per year. Some more some less. If I only got 80k out of a car it would only last me 5 years. I personally expect 15 years out of a car now. My wife’s Jeep is coming up on 11 years and still runs like new. Is the problem people buying used and/or not doing required maintenance? That’s my theory at least.

#6 ·
Upstate NY. Just bought the passenger riser mod from your store. I had the worst time installing the 4th bolt. Came to it the next day - parked the car in the sunshine - and got the last bolt in on the first try. I couldnt believe it. Wife loves the upgrade. The crazy low seat was actually bothering her back!

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Bad bearing is reasonable. Bad engine is not. I’ve been religious about changing the oil per the manual. So hopefully I won’t have that problem. Just changed spark plugs and they looked good after 45k miles so based on that anyway engine seems healthy. Car definitely hauls &ss. Little turbo lag but once it spins up not much can beat it on the road.

#11 ·
The passenger seat is insanely low. My wife complained it caused back problems. We are taking it on a long trip so wanted to increase her comfort. She says it makes a huge difference. Maybe just placebo effect but if she doesn’t complain that’s a check in my book!

#13 ·
Might not just be placebo - she might have been craning her neck before, which could cause back issues. Being higher she might be able to relax her upper back more, keep it at a better posture. I say it's a very good move on that install, your comfort/health comes first, especially with back issues!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.