Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima LX Bright Silver
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I just bought a very nice 2013 Optima EX Bright Silver and I love it but I have noticed a loud ticking after the car is driven or at operating temputure sometimes you could hear it when its running or at a stand still it is kind of embarrassing! I just wanted to know if it is normal or should i look at buying a part? 20200805_180222.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,387 Posts
Would be nice to hear the sound, these engines aren't known for being quite, but
the high pressure fuel pump is very loud.
Buying one of these cars is like playing Russian Roulette as never know when the engine is going
to seize, so make certain all updates have been done to maintain the lifetime engine warranty for
what they call the debris issue, what a joke that is.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Yeah probably the high pressure fuel system, can sound like a small diesel at times, it it the loudest thing on mine, turbo included. I like it somewhat, now that I know what it is. Or maybe valve ticking but I doubt i could hear it over the fuel injectors doing their thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2013 EX that makes a ticking/clattering noise until it gets up to operating temperature. I did run a high mileage fuel system cleaner through it yesterday and after an 800 mile road trip it seems to have quieted down substantially. At least based on the one cold start since I went through my tank of gas.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
102 Posts
Eight ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil at the time of a fuel fill-up, may help relieve some of the noise. Do a couple of treatments - then do a maintenance program on it, using the same dosage, 3-4 times per year.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil
Are you kidding? Is that the new branding for snake oil?

That just sounds like slick50 which got in trouble for false advertising.
I even did a search and found a website for this snake oil. They are so fake. They have a link for "How it works" but when you click that link it's a bait and switch where the page shows how to use it. So they are just fake liars. Even using the "mystery" angle so fake, like you can't even tell how it works...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Say what you will about Marvel being snake oil, but when you are dealing with a motor that has been sitting for 15 years in some barn and wont budge with a breaker bar nothing better to reach for. That being said never used in a fuel system 😀.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Forte EX
370 Posts
I have a 2012 EX with 136K miles. The fuel injectors get pretty noisy, especially when pressing the accelerator and pulling out of a parking space and driving at low speeds. It's very loud/annoying but I've learned to live with it. I think a mechanic told me it's better to be hearing the fuel injectors, so you know the system is working. I also had a 2015 Optima LX as a dealer loaner recently (with fewer miles) and it made the same noise.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
nothing better to reach for.
Are you kidding? Isn't there anything concrete you can say about the product? The problem is you can't say anything concrete, because it's a magical product that relies on snake oil salesman tactics, so by definition the sellers cannot say what the product is, because that ruins the mystery. Also if they make any claims, they run the risk of getting sued out of existence due to false advertising, just like the fate of Slick50.

Unlike real oils that carry a label telling you exactly what kind of performance you can expect, because the product has testable performance.

·
Registered
2013 Optima LX Bright Silver
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys so much when I get home today I will try to record a vid of the sound. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts