Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just recently my optima has a burning oil smell after warming up while idling. It is not leaking oil (we aren’t seeing anything in the driveway), it’s not losing oil because we are checking it and the dipstick is not showing it as being low. It does have 104,000 miles on it. We change the oil about every 4k miles. We can’t think of any other reasons. Someone please help!!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,060 Posts
I'd get a bright light and look at the back of the engine, possible valve cover gasket, turbo oil feed line as you don't need much oil to create the odor.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get a bright light and look at the back of the engine, possible valve cover gasket, turbo oil feed line as you don't need much oil to create the odor.
I don’t want to sound dumb but what exactly am I looking for? Oil leak? And if it’s doing that would I be able to smell the oil when driving? Or just while idling? As I can only smell it while it’s idling. Thank you for your help!!!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,060 Posts
No problem, just assume everyone knows the basics. Use a very strong/bright light, pull off the engine cover, then look around for any wetness, the upper part of the engine around the valve cover, then might need to climb over the passenger side fender, look down the back side of the engine as that's where the turbo oil supply and return lines are located. I say the back as the turbo/exhaust is on the back side of the engine and usually oil will burn off the exhaust and that's where the smell originates.

The first item that came to mind was the turbo oil supply line as when the cars were manufactured, the OEM line was made poorly and Kia replaced the line no charge, at least on my '11 replaced at 115,000 miles, but not certain as to the years that qualified for the free replacement.

If no success, the oil filter is in the front, so might want to give a quick check around that area also.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, just assume everyone knows the basics. Use a very strong/bright light, pull off the engine cover, then look around for any wetness, the upper part of the engine around the valve cover, then might need to climb over the passenger side fender, look down the back side of the engine as that's where the turbo oil supply and return lines are located. I say the back as the turbo/exhaust is on the back side of the engine and usually oil will burn off the exhaust and that's where the smell originates.

The first item that came to mind was the turbo oil supply line as when the cars were manufactured, the OEM line was made poorly and Kia replaced the line no charge, at least on my '11 replaced at 115,000 miles, but not certain as to the years that qualified for the free replacement.

If no success, the oil filter is in the front, so might want to give a quick check around that area also.
Thank you very much!! There is a recall that came up on my vin#. And that recall is SC187 which is the manufacturer recall #.

there’s is a recall on it from Feb 2020 of last yr regarding the low pressure fuel tube. I only just found out about it last night due to researching reasons for a burning smell. But I will check these areas out and go from there! I will for sure let you know how it goes!! Thank you so much for the advice and info!!!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,060 Posts
Thank you very much!! There is a recall that came up on my vin#. And that recall is SC187 which is the manufacturer recall #.

there’s is a recall on it from Feb 2020 of last yr regarding the low pressure fuel tube. I only just found out about it last night due to researching reasons for a burning smell. But I will check these areas out and go from there! I will for sure let you know how it goes!! Thank you so much for the advice and info!!!
The SC187 is a recall for the low pressure fuel line and if leaking, there'll be no oil burning smell, but the car could erupt in a ball of flames.

This is the turbo oil feed line:

·
Registered
13 Posts
They won't fix it until it blows up. If it blows you can get a new engine. I have a 2013 EX. Mine burns a quart of oil every 500 miles. Make sure you keep an eye on the oil.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car isn’t losing any oil at all. Nothing on the driveway and the dipstick does not show any oil loss. I’m thinking it may have something to do with the recall on it. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car isn’t losing any oil at all. Nothing on the driveway and the dipstick does not show any oil loss. I’m thinking it may have something to do with the recall on it. Thank you for your response.

I had teh same thing. The oil feed line was replaced by them and a year later they replaced the engine... Just got a full top down engine due recall.. I would take it to the dealership

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had teh same thing. The oil feed line was replaced by them and a year later they replaced the engine... Just got a full top down engine due recall.. I would take it to the dealership
I’m working on it. I haven’t drove the car since I’ve posted on this forum. I’m afraid my engine is going to blow. And kias systems have been down for a week now. They were actually able to look up the vin and tell me there’s a recall, but can not open a ticket on it. They said I could take it to a Kia dealer but it will sit there until Kias server system is up because the dealer obviously can’t touch it because they can open a ticket. Maybe they should do what they did before computers 😂😂 hand write it all out. I just said I’ll keep it in my driveway where I know it’s safe until I can take it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, it goes into safe mode. I was driving mine on the highway fooling around and gassed it hard and the connection rod started to bang... that caused the car to go into safe mode to prevent that very thing. Safe mode will not allow the motor to rev too high . you can read about it here.. Letter from Kia about new Software update for ecu... Kia has also extended the warranty for life of the car... just FYI, not that you want to gamble.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, it goes into safe mode. I was driving mine on the highway fooling around and gassed it hard and the connection rod started to bang... that caused the car to go into safe mode to prevent that very thing. Safe mode will not allow the motor to rev too high . you can read about it here.. Letter from Kia about new Software update for ecu... Kia has also extended the warranty for life of the car... just FYI, not that you want to gamble.
That’s when mine started. I gassed it, I heard like a clang and it’s been smelling ever since. I gassed it to pass someone and go around them. Thank you for the info for sure! I’m glad they have extended the warranty! No I definitely don’t want to gamble because I honestly don’t want to buy another car. Buying 3 kias in a yrs time will kill me. 1st one was totaled only had it 6 mos, not because of me, now this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts