Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Has anyone had this happen...?? On Nov. 28, 2019, I turned right while pulling into my brother's driveway, and depressed the brake pedal to park, but instead of stopping my car suddenly accelerated, I slammed my foot on the brakes, but the care kept accelerating. I ended up slamming into my brothers SUV, bounced off the tailgate, then careened across his front yard, finally coming to a stop after jamming my foot on the brakes over and over again.

On Nov. 15, 2019, while driving 30-mph, my car suddenly accelerated on it's own, however, when I hit the brake was able to slow back down. I read that some people were having issues with cruise control unexpectedly accelerating, but I never use cruise control.

My car is at the Kia dealership, and I have a feeling that they won't be able to find a problem with it. Here's an old article about the situation:

Kia and Hyundai announced that they were recalling 1.9 million vehicles from the 2006-2011 model years for a brake switch failure. The long list of vehicles includes: Hyundai Accent, Elantra, Genesis Coupe, Santa Fe, Sonata, Tucson and Veracruz vehicles and Kias Optima, Rondo, Sedona, Sorento, Soul and Sportage.

According to KIA’s Part 573 Defect and Noncompliance Report:
"The stop lamp switch" (also known as a brake switch) "on vehicles in the subject recall population may experience intermittent switch point contact. This condition could potentially result in intermittent operation of the push-button start feature, intermittent ability to remove the vehicle's shifter from the Park position, illumination of the 'ESC' (Electronic Stability Control) indicator lamp in the instrument cluster, intermittent interference with operation of the cruise control feature, or intermittent operation of the stop lamps. Intermittent operation of the stop lamps increases the risk of a crash."

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,524 Posts
The recall is for a brake switch that has nothing to do with unintended acceleration, nor would cause brake failure.

Hate to say this, but in all the investigations I'm familiar with, unintended acceleration was driver error in that they hit the accelerator and not the brake. Have never seen a car that will accelerate when the brake pedal depressed. One can hold the brake pedal down, hit the accelerator, even floor it, and the car won't move. People have even got shin-splints from trying to stop the car, only they were pressing on the accelerator. In the end, people can't believe, nor would they accept the fact that they were pressing on the accelerator and not the brake.

Most of the unintended acceleration I've seen was with the Jeep models that have the accelerator moved to the left because of the large tunnel, and older Volvo models. There have been unintended acceleration on some newer cars e.g. Toyota due to movement of floor mat, or some diesel Volvo cars.

Problem with unintended acceleration is that it takes people by surprise and they can't react quick enough. Many, many years ago my father was driving his Pontiac, made a left turn and the accelerator went to the floor. He struggled to get around the corner while I quickly reached over, turned the key off and the car came to a stop. Restarted, drove home, then took a look. Motor mount was broken, engine raised and took the linkage full open. Replaced the mount and added a cable to the engine/frame in case mount broke again.

Good luck and keep us informed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts