Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Kia Optima LX lost power doing 75 mph on the freeway. No Acceleration, just completely lost power. After barely getting across to the shoulder had it towed to my mechanic. After reading a lot of post about others losing power I feared the worst. Engine failure or something else major. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Pretty cheap (compared to other things), and simple fix. Installed new fuel pump, and back on the road, pump seems to be working good. One problem I have though is the gas guage does not appear to be working. It is pegged on full and not going down. On the display I have miles till empty which appears to be working correctly, but actual gauage is not?? Just wondering if any idea on how to fix? Still need to check for lose wires on newly installed pump.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,085 Posts
I assume it to be the low pressure fuel pump and did you replace just the pump or the entire unit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes low pressure pump. Came as a complete unit. Pump and sending unit. I guess it’s possible that sending unit is bad out of the box, but not likely. I didn’t install it so I didn’t see if there was any adjust that maybe need to be made on the float assy. Thinkig maybe it’s hung up or possible lose connection? Or is there some sort of reset that needs to be done? any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,085 Posts
Can't get my hands around this one, but need an update, are the miles to empty moving down correctly while the gauge is still on full?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The miles to empty are moving down but not correctly. Much slower than they should be and much slower than before. I have driven probably 200 miles and it has only gone down maybe 100?
Before with old pump on fill up, miles to empty would be right around 500. At Half a tank miles to empty would be 250. I should be around half a tank calculating miles I have driven since fill up, but miles to empty says I still have around 360 miles? Definitely not correct?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,085 Posts
What is strange is that both are powered by current that comes from the resistor in the fuel tank pump assembly, so even if one is moving the other should also, although very slowly. Have seen where the ohms were in error and the miles to empty/fuel gauge were erratic, but both moved slightly.
A couple of things, if the key is turned off, then on, does the fuel gauge move at all?
What brand and part number is the fuel pump that was installed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the fuel pump assy.
Spectra Premium SP3083M Fuel Pump Module Assembly.
Yes when you turn key off gauge goes to empty. When you turn key on the gauge goes up and down then goes straight to full. Before it would go up and down then to correct position.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,085 Posts
Thought maybe the replacement pump would have a different ohm reading when compared to the factory unit, but the Spectra unit is 8-200 ohms as is the factory unit (following specs):
E 198-205
Warning Lamp 168-172
1/2 65-67
F 7-9
Only way to determine if the sender is working properly is to check the resistance readings while moving the float thru the range full to empty. Actually the reading can be checked when looking at the pump plug, the 3 terminals at top, use 1 (L) and 3 (R), but with the pump in the car you'd only be able to get one reading as where the float is located at that time. Maybe check when the tank is full, then check when the fuel is lower, maybe after 300 miles.
Guess that's all I have unless the pump is pulled again and checked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I pulled the pump back out to check it do I use those pins and measure the ohms as I move the float up and down.
Another question is it possible to pull the pump and turn the key on and move the float manually and see if the gauge inside moves or will this hurt the pump as it would not be priming itself?

thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,085 Posts
Yes, those pins can be used to check ohms, and I've never done what you are suggesting, but I cant foresee any problems as long as it's done quickly as the pump will be out of the cooling gasoline.
I also thought the float could have been damaged and/or float lever bent, but it would have had to bent like a pretzel so reading stays on full.

Let us know what you find.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,469 Posts
So whats the latest??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here’s the latest. Pulled the fuel pump back out and plugged everything back In While out of the tank. With the key on I actuated the sending unit up and down and was able to verify that the gauge would move up and down correctly. I reinstalled it back in the tank and since then everything has been working perfect.
My best guess is when it got installed something got hung up on the sending unit which wasn’t allowing it to move up and down. Hopefully not more issues 🙏

1 - 15 of 15 Posts