Kia Optima Forums banner

2013 Kia Optima EX Shaking when AC is on

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  jspurgers 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have take my car to two mechanic and asked why is my car shaking and they told me the engine mounts. My car seems to be shaking when the AC is on. I replaced the mounts and the car still shakes when the AC is on. Does anyone know why the car is shaking so much when AC is on.

DH

#2 ·
Well, the irony is that the 2011 Optima is equipped with a VDC, or an a/c compressor that is always on as their is no electric on/off clutch. The compressor is always turning, however, the fan will activate at times when the car is running and maybe that is what you're feeling. Look at the rpm gauge to be certain it does fall drasticly when you feel the sensation.

#5 ·
There is a definite vibration when that fan kicks on, just the nature of the beast. If it is the fan, you'll be able to hear and feel the vibration when the fan is running, so just think of the other thousands of people that feel the same thing. The only way I know would be to isolate the fan assembly by creating new cushions to replace the existing factory cushions, but probably a lot of trouble.

#7 ·
Hi,

Pretty sure that I'm experiencing that same issue as you. Whenever the AC is on and the car is idling (~500-700 rpm), there's a strong vibration that feels like it's coming from the front of the car. You can definitely feel it in the steering wheel. Turning the AC seems to get rid of the vibration, so I don't think it's an issue with the engine or engine mounts. Only when the car's RPMs are low and the AC is on can you feel the vibrations, and once the RPMs go up, it usually goes away.

Were you able to find a fix for this issue? I've been planning on taking the car to a mechanic, but worried that they won't be able to find the cause of the issue. Guessing that it's an issue with the AC compressor, but would like to know for sure before having to buy a new one.

P.S. I also drive a 2013 EX with 85000 miles.

Thanks,
JS

#9 ·
Whoa! I've been experiencing this since i first got the car and thought it was just the way the car was built, When the AC is on the compressor kicks-in and vibrates under the drivers seat.
Has anyone been able to fix this issue by replacing the compressor/fan?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.