Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been looking and looking for a way to either modify or update the navigation/maps in my wife's 2013 Optima. The maps are severely outdated. The only options I've seen are through KIA to order new releases each time they are released. That seems a little extreme to hold your customers ransom and charge for all maps. I don't know. I just think it's odd that nobody seems to have much info on this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
631 Posts
It has been a free download for us for some time.
$$ IF you want them to send you the Update ON an SD Card
Bookmark the URL below and look at Update Guide Tab, in particular.
See my notes below from another post...... AND post back with questions after looking this over.

I accessed Nav screen Update via All Menus/ Setup/ General / SW Info....
On the Nav screen that says Do you want to upgrade to Ver xyz (as the final step) I had to Clk the - Update - button to start the process 3 different times Before I saw the -- Red Loading bar -- (checking update files) ... Could have just been me but FYI keep trying if it happens.
Took roughly 40 minutes...
Audio & Map Pre-Sets were saved....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It has been a free download for us for some time.
$$ IF you want them to send you the Update ON an SD Card
Bookmark the URL below and look at Update Guide Tab, in particular.
See my notes below from another post...... AND post back with questions after looking this over.

I accessed Nav screen Update via All Menus/ Setup/ General / SW Info....
On the Nav screen that says Do you want to upgrade to Ver xyz (as the final step) I had to Clk the - Update - button to start the process 3 different times Before I saw the -- Red Loading bar -- (checking update files) ... Could have just been me but FYI keep trying if it happens.
Took roughly 40 minutes...
Audio & Map Pre-Sets were saved....

The Download I got from your link is the same I have already tried. It only goes back to 2015. Hers is a 2013. When I go to the update site to try to download the version to either load with that or perform another way, I ONLY have the option to add to cart. No download. Nothing else.

Also, before I could even add to cart, I had to provide her VIN number and Device ID.

I'll try again and see if I missed anything.

* UPDATE *
No change. I do not see any other options for a 2013 KIA Optima EX.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,348 Posts
For earlier years like 2013, go to mapnsoft.

You need to provide the device ID so they can key the software to your specific car so that it won't install on any other cars. You need to purchase the update.

It's hard to tell but they might be close to releasing another version soon (like early december) so yo may want to wait a couple weeks before purchase?

Kia Mapcare | Customer Login

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You need to provide the device ID so they can key the software to your specific car so that it won't install on any other cars. You need to purchase the update.

It's hard to tell but they might be close to releasing another version soon (like early december) so yo may want to wait a couple weeks before purchase?

Thanks... That's all I saw too. I wonder why we can't provide our radio code and download it like the rest? It's so irritating.

Have you upgraded one before? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,348 Posts
Thanks... That's all I saw too. I wonder why we can't provide our radio code and download it like the rest? It's so irritating.

Have you upgraded one before? Is it worth it?
Yes, I've updated my nav unit twice over the last 8 years.

The most recent update I did brought a nice feature update: seeing the song info or podcast info when streaming bluetooth music or podcasts. This feature has been available for several years, but I held off updating until the recent price drop.

At first, the update was over $100. Now at $25 it's a much better deal. But I don't expect any feature updates, because the Nav unit is just so old and doesn't have the processing power to do much at all. The map updates are nice but don't have the wow factor compared to feature updates.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had that issue to where song information wasn't showing up but the update fixed it. But then I got a new phone a few weeks ago and now it only shows song information for the first one then doesn't update...

Curiously there's not a single Chick fil a that's registered in the map database though...

For the price it was worth it. Pretty sure when I updated it was the first then ever. Might wait a couple years before I update again though.

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX
1 Posts
2012 Optima here.......so why do us early adopters (pre-2015) get dinged $25 + $18 for shipping. Seems a little unfair? I just closed the checkout page browser and bowed out once I saw the shipping charge. Not going to break the bank, but they could ship for $8 vis USPS Priority. I'll just continue to use free Google Maps on cellphone. Merry Christmas all!!

·
Registered
41 Posts

do this one it works costs about 42 bucks. I just did my 2012 optima last month at mapnsoft. they only do one update a year in March. so do it now. It will give you a lot of new features, so much better. there are no free updates below 2015.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts