Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2013 Kia Optima EX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2013 Kia Optima in for the engine recall test to determine if the rod bearings have been damaged by manufacturing debris. They changed the dipstick from yellow to an orange one and filled the engine with 5.2 quarts instead of the 4.86 quarts in my owners manual. They did not know what the dipstick change was nor why the additional oil was made, so I don't really know if it is legit..... Does anyone know why this change was made and is it real?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
Hmm odd about the oil amount. What does the dipstick say when you read it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its over the full mark, which is why I questioned the dealer. The paperwork said 6 quarts, but when I called they said they added 5.2......

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
The dipstick they change during inspection will require more oil @ 5.2 qts.
Probably charged you for the full 6 qts rather than a pint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dipstick they change during inspection will require more oil @ 5.2 qts.
Probably charged you for the full 6 qts rather than a pint.
I cannot find anything about the 5.2 qts and the dealer did not have any technical info from Kia.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
^Not necessarily as if equipped with a red dipstick it isn't changed.

As far as oil capacity, next oil change add 5 qts. and see where the level might be, then add the additional to bring it up to full 5.2qts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the dipstick color also lets the service dept. know it was checked under the recall...
the dipstick color also lets the service dept. know it was checked under the recall...
That's what I thought. Not sure about the 5.2qts, trying to get something out of Kia, but they seem really disfunctional. Dipsticks are notoriously inaccurate, so I would prefer to know what they want us to do.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
In all my years, first I've heard that the oil dipstick is notoriously inaccurate.

Don't know exactly what you want Kia to tell you that you can't do yourself. What do you believe the service dept. does, add oil according to the quantity or by the dipstick?

You also doubled up the dipstick color, but as I stated before, if a red dipstick they are instructed not to change it, leave it as is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In all my years, first I've heard that the oil dipstick is notoriously inaccurate.

Don't know exactly what you want Kia to tell you that you can't do yourself. What do you believe the service dept. does, add oil according to the quantity or by the dipstick?

You also doubled up the dipstick color, but as I stated before, if a red dipstick they are instructed not to change it, leave it as is.
I was a engine and engine component engineer for 35 years. Dipsticks measure the height of oil in the pan which changes very little with volume. Also, they are a stamped tube, with a stamped probe, with a molded or stamped end stop, not very precision....

Not sure what you mean by "doubled up the dipstick color"? They changed it from a yellow handled one to an orange one, but did not tell me why? I have called another dealer and they now say the amount has changed to 5.07 qts and the dipstick reflects this change. I want Kia to tell me how many qts of oil go into the engine. My manual says 4.86 and new it seems they have increased it, but neglected to tell everyone to what and why.....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'm concerned that for those of us who "passed" the engine test and got a new dipstick, it's still the SAME engine.

Why would we need to use a different oil level in the SAME engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good question and one that Kia should be answering. Try getting a straight answer from Customer Assistance or a dealer.......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whoa.... So wait a minute... I'm I supposed to put over 5qts now? Dealer didn't tell me jack when they did my test. I believe my dipstick was yellow, just went out the see that it's orange:rolleyes:

What's up with these inept dealers?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
I was a engine and engine component engineer for 35 years. Dipsticks measure the height of oil in the pan which changes very little with volume. Also, they are a stamped tube, with a stamped probe, with a molded or stamped end stop, not very precision....

Not sure what you mean by "doubled up the dipstick color"? They changed it from a yellow handled one to an orange one, but did not tell me why? I have called another dealer and they now say the amount has changed to 5.07 qts and the dipstick reflects this change. I want Kia to tell me how many qts of oil go into the engine. My manual says 4.86 and new it seems they have increased it, but neglected to tell everyone to what and why.....
Post #8 was doubled, why, dunno, unless to highlight the reply.

Well, if you were an engine component engineer for 35 years sure can't understand why you wouldn't know what the additional oil capacity is for?

Also, I think most of us would know that the dipstick measures the level of oil, so don't know what other vehicle one would use to see the oil volume in a car. As the block, oil pan, etc is manufactured to specific dimensions, I have no doubt in my mind the dipstick is a practical and useful tool to measure the oil volume. As you have doubts, if the stick indicated a 1/2 qt low and a 1/2 qt. was poured in, the stick would show full. Millions do it all the time and don't seem to have any reservations as to the accuracy of the stick.

Also, if you have doubts about the veracity of the dipstick, how would you ever know whether the engine is low on oil? Boggles my mind.

Sure sounds like you're making a mountain out of a mole hole.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
I'm concerned that for those of us who "passed" the engine test and got a new dipstick, it's still the SAME engine.
Why would we need to use a different oil level in the SAME engine?
The engine has a propensity to wear the cylinders out of round and oil consumption rises, so they're trying to keep the additional oil in there so that when 1 qt low there would still be 4 qts to circulate.
At least that's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Oh, as for accuracy, I would also point out the issue with time causing different readings. That might cause some to think it's inaccurate because you can check twice and get two different readings, just because time passed.

The time is to let oil drain down into the pan, so if you're too early, the oil won't have a chance to drain, and you'll be inaccurate thinking you need more oil.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
Oh, as for accuracy, I would also point out the issue with time causing different readings. That might cause some to think it's inaccurate because you can check twice and get two different readings, just because time passed.

The time is to let oil drain down into the pan, so if you're too early, the oil won't have a chance to drain, and you'll be inaccurate thinking you need more oil.
You hit the nail on the head as that is correct.
Actually haven't seen an engine take so long to have the oil drain into the pan after turning the engine off. Even the "old" 2.4 Optima we purchased new took forever to drain and get an accurate reading. This is why it's probably best to check the level in the morning after the car sits idle overnight.

After the new engine was installed, the first oil change I did was to refill with 5 qts, drive the car, check the next day, between add/full, so topped it off and now I know how much to put in the future oil changes. All the oil changes we did over the years, always checked the level again after a brief start to circulate the oil, but not on this albatross.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,440 Posts
FWIW: Ever since I bought my '12 SX new, I've put in 5quarts (using the 5qt jugs from Walmart). Up till 76K miles, she never seemed to use much oil at all. Replacement engine is the same. The change in oil dipstick (indicated by its color) was to enable just a bit more oil in the sump (the sump has room for this) as indicated by different E-F bands on the dipstick and was thought to help with keeping "enough" oil around between oil changes since most drivers are clueless as to real car maintenance. The little bit of extra volume might help with the bad fuel dilution monsters these GDI engines really are. Over the years, that seems to be what the KIA Techs were being told (officially or otherwise). I only put 5quarts in and do my 0W-40 Castrol Edge oil change (with Fram Ultra XG9688) every ~4K miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts