Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a pretty high mileage 2013 hybrid right at 300,000 miles so I'd expect gas mileage to not be as good as when it was new. Currently I've noticed however the numbers don't seem to add up with what the car is reporting I've noticed recently that my miles per gallon that's reported by the car the distance traveled and the distance to empty don't seem to add up. Two days ago when I left for work I had 177 miles to empty after just driving 10 miles at 35 miles per hour I had 144 miles to empty well the mpg reported 36 miles per gallon.

As a test I filled the car up it said I had 450 MI to empty machines a little low I've been able to get about 510 mi on a full tank before, I reset the mileage counter the mpg was also reset I drove it for about 40 miles all highway no stop and go not hammering it ran at an average speed of about 70 when I stopped the car then showed that I had 396 miles to empty MPG said that I was getting 38.9 the distance traveled was 42 miles.

Based on the reported MPG since that's an average over time and the distance traveled the distance to empty numbers just seem way off I would expect the mpg to report more accurately or the distance to empty to be more accurate but something doesn't seem right.

Anyone have any ideas while the numbers seem really off or anyways I can try to improve the MPGs.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,648 Posts
First you should verify whether you have a problem with poor gas mileage or good gas mileage but with a problem with the car's automatic calculations. So you can just reset your car's trip odometer and then drive a known route, and then after completion compare the known distance with what your trip odometer says. If the odometer is correct, then you should be able to trust it when you fill up your tank and reset the trip odometer. When time to refill, note the reading on the trip odometer to see how far you drove on that tank, and note how much gas it takes to fill up the tank. Then manually calculate your own MPG, see if they agree with your car's computer.

Note that the car's computer will vary over time based on historical driving. So after a road-trip, your car's computer will be very optimistic and predict your MPG based on very efficient highway mileage. But if you spend a lot of time idling or stop and go, or drag racing, then the car's computer will predict the future MPG estimates based on that very poor driving.

So when you fill up a fresh tank, the car's computer will automatically predict the range based on the previous driving, so that's why you can see 300 miles of range or 550 miles of range depending on how you drove right before filling up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd start by getting True mpgs per Fillup, not using mickey mouse car 'puter (just for rough averages), just miles driven divided by gallons pumped. What do you get then?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts