Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2013 Kia Opt8ma seized while doing like 65 on the freeway! Out of nowhere!!! I love my car I never had problems with it before only problem I had was that my car would say there's 40 miles left of gas and it would just cut off like it ran out of gas as soon as I would put gas in the car it would start again and run fine. About 3 weeks before this incident were the engines seized up, I had got a full synthetic oil change. When the car cut off while I was driving, Come to find out there wasn't a drop of oil in it anymore. And then the car started rattling and making so many noises.... I took it to Kia and they are replacing it due to the fact that I have a GDI engine. My question is why in the world would I Has to pay $750 the the guy at the dealership says it's for the spark plugs that's a replace of 2 hoses and To clean something out I forget what exactly so those 3 things are gonna cost $750 he says if I don't do him then he is gonna look at me as if I'm not good my maintenance....?.. Why would you put an engine in a car a brand new engine by the way and not replace the spark plugs or why would it not have spark plugs? I just don't feel comfortable with what he saying please help me...

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,528 Posts
It's unclear, but are you saying he is going to blackmail you and sabotage your engine replacement by denying coverage unless you pay extra and then he will make the paperwork go through to approve the engine replacement?

Do you have a list of the specific things that are costing $750? You can order your own spark plugs and change them yourself.

Another unclear thing, is whether you had oil in the engine or was there no oil and that caused the failure? Because maybe the engine level was fine, and then the engine failed and lost the oil. Either way, this is why I'm confused because if you had no oil, they could deny your warranty claim and not replace the engine, so are you saying this guy will look the other way and approve the engine replacement if you give him $750 to pay for additional things?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,085 Posts
First, hate to say, but if the car was delivered to Kia without any oil, consider yourself lucky that they didn't decline the engine replacement due to
lack of owner maintenance. Having said that, it's not abnormal for these crappy engines to suck up quarts of oil in a very short period of time, then
with no lubrication it seizes. The replacement engine comes with new plugs, so do I believe the stealershiup to be upright and honest, absolutely not,
but with the situation at hand, you could be looking at a $6000 bill to pay for another engine, or maybe $4500 if going with a used engine.

To sum it up, your choice, to pay or fight the decision, but I'd think hard before making a negative decision.

If you want to play on the same field as the stealership, go ahead and have the engine replaced and AFTER, look at the bill to make certain they list the parts/labor, and the total is what you paid, let us see the invoice, we'll make some comments, then contact Kia Corporate to complain and get you're money, or at least some of the money back. Now, the stealership could anticipate this action, and list numerous replacement parts that are not engine related, but if plugs & labor are listed, that would be money in your pocket.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,528 Posts
Oooh I like that! Yep, get them to just do the work, replace the plugs, then complain to corporate to force them to refund you for the work that was already covered.

This way, you benefit from their trying to be sneaky, and the dealership gets punished ONLY AFTER the car has been delivered safely into your hands so they can't mess with it after the refund.

·
Registered
309 Posts
.. Why would you put an engine in a car a brand new engine by the way and not replace the spark plugs or why would it not have spark plugs? I just don't feel comfortable with what he saying please help me...
The answer is because that is what the Kia settlement agrees to, a Free long block replacement and associated labor, plus maybe a rental if you ask. Nothing else. Meaning a long block by definition does not include any engine accessories like plugs, coils, A/C, steering pumps, ect. They merely swap old parts over to the new long block. See attached settlement.

So yeah as others said you're lucky they've agree to long block despite low oil (it still has some when dip stick reads nothing btw) and it is hard to argue the points of what they say it needs, could be true or not, maybe stealership is just trying to make Extra money above and beyond what Kia will pay them for labor of long block replacement. Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't recall having to pay anything out of pocket, however, this is the third engine I've had in my 2013 KIA Optima SXL.. Currently has ~ 140 K miles and is covered until 2028 with unlimited mileage. I appreciate and am grateful for the vehicle and KIA's support, but it has been challenging at times. Currently dealing with some power window issues, missed the 3 K mile paint warranty, so a little fading on painted attachments, moon roof has had some issues and I continue to get a check engine light indicating a gas cap, vacuum leak, or a sensor, but it tends to go away. There was one issue with the turbo exhaust valve in the gas tank, Overall, love this vehicle and wish I could have purchased a Stinger before the discontinuing of it, but doubtful. As others mentioned, you shouldn't have to pay anything extra and the paperwork should list all the parts replaced. Have an awesome day!! GQ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts