Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I recently had an issue with my 2013 Optima EX where the coolant system had a major leak and nearly caused my engine to overheat. While driving down the road I heard a strange "hissing" noise and pulled over immediately. When I popped the hood, I noticed steam being released right next to the radiator cap, and thats where the hissing noise appeared to originate from. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the 90-degree elbow joint that connected the upper radiator hose to the radiator itself was extremely loose. I was able to pull the whole assembly out of place just using my hands... (see attached pics). In order to fix this issue, will the entire radiator need to be replaced? I wasn't able to find any info about this joint or similar issues when looking online.

After getting the car back home, I filled the system with coolant and let the car idle for a few minutes. I noticed whenever the radiator fan kicked on, this elbow joint began leaking, so I'm almost certain that this is the main issue.

This can't be normal right? I did some research online and looked at a few replacement radiators and they all seemed to have a solid connection between this elbow joint and the radiator itself. I haven't had any issues with the cooling system prior and have put over 1500 miles on the car since purchasing it in September, so i'm not sure why this happened out of the blue.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
In a hurry right now, but if that joint is plastic within plastic, pull it out clean well, use acetone or the like, apply JB weld replace and let sit for a day. Have used it before on other plastic radiator repairs no problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.