Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Ive looked around but just cant find. I am looking for video, or some help with how to get the bulb out of the driver side low beam headlamp.

I got the cover off, but ive tried turning the inside and nothing. Looks like it might be a clip, but cant see it to attempt to get off.

New to the community here. Happy to be aboard. I was also told it has the technology package if that matters with the bulbs.

Also, I got H7 bulbs. Are those the correct ones?

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all

Ive looked around but just cant find. I am looking for video, or some help with how to get the bulb out of the driver side low beam headlamp.

I got the cover off, but ive tried turning the inside and nothing. Looks like it might be a clip, but cant see it to attempt to get off.

New to the community here. Happy to be aboard. I was also told it has the technology package if that matters with the bulbs.

Thanks all!!
Hey, so I've got the sxl but should farely be the same, the socket has to be twisted out counterclockwise. If possible take out the battery for some more room. It will be very very tight from the comstant heating and cooling. I loosened up my grille, and removed some of the bolts on top to flex the headlight assembly in order to get bulb out a little easier (1 hour job for each bulb). For the correct bulb, they should have a thread on sizes/types.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts

Thanks all!!
If you have a 2013 Optima with halogen lighting, they are going to be H11B, not H7.

Let us know if we can help you upgrade to some nice LEDs or HIDs to replace the dull yellow halogen lights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have a 2013 Optima with halogen lighting, they are going to be H11B, not H7.

Let us know if we can help you upgrade to some nice LEDs or HIDs to replace the dull yellow halogen lights.
would be nice to upgrade, but got laid off like most food service employees.

also i cant even the bulb out!!! no matter what i try. i need help with that first

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima Hybrid
12 Posts
Sorry, but I have to ask since we shouldn't assume people know the difference (I didn't at first). My 13 EX Hybrid came with projector lamps, not halogen bulb like a regular car. I'm not sure but I think all of the EX Hybrids came with projectors. Being projectors they don't have a replaceable bulb - you have to replace the entire assembly. To replace the assembly you have to remove the front bumper. I could be totally wrong about your car but just wanted to make sure you knew there was a difference before going too far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is that what they look like? mine on back part from what i see look exactly like that box.

i really have to take off bumper to replace?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts
I'm not sure but I think all of the EX Hybrids came with projectors. Being projectors they don't have a replaceable bulb - you have to replace the entire assembly. To replace the assembly you have to remove the front bumper. I could be totally wrong about your car but just wanted to make sure you knew there was a difference before going too far.
Well all 2011 to 2020 Kia optima models regardless of the trim level came with projector headlamps. Some trim levels include halogen headlight bulbs with projector headlamps, while other models include HID bulbs with projector headlamps.

View attachment 248113 is that what they look like? mine on back part from what i see look exactly like that box.

i really have to take off bumper to replace?
If these are what you need, then this would mean that your vehicle came equipped with factory HID headlights, as these are the D1S HID bulbs. I wouldn’t recommend ordering this particular brand unless you have experience working with them on your Kia vehicle. Kia vehicles are very finicky when it comes to aftermarket HID D1S bulbs, and many will fail after just a few months of usage due to the electrical system.

Our Morimoto HID D1S bulbs Are $74.95 including free shipping, and a 2 Year Warranty, but I’d be more than happy to offer you $5 dollars off to match that price on that site of $69.95, knowing that you’ll be getting a reputable brand from a known vendor in the community. Just shoot me a private message if you’re interested and I’ll send you over the link with discount.

Hmm then chances are you have an HID D1S bulbs? Do you know if your car comes with HID because that is definitely HID D1S bulbs.
Agreed! ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all

i was mainly using that picture as a reference to what it looked like.

i do not know a ton about the car, as i bought used.

but ill let you know about the bulbs. no job equals no money

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima Hybrid
12 Posts
K5 Optima Store, thanks for clarifying! HID was the term I meant to use instead of projector, just couldn't think of it. As for getting at the bulb without removing the bumper to get to the assembly, here's an interesting thread that talks about a possible way to do it. I have not confirmed if this would work on a 2013 though:

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts
thanks all

i was mainly using that picture as a reference to what it looked like.

i do not know a ton about the car, as i bought used.

but ill let you know about the bulbs. no job equals no money
You’re very welcome, you can also contact your local Kia dealership to have them help determine what bulbs you have in your vehicle based on your vehicle identification number or VIN. That way at least you’ll know what you’re getting involved in.

K5 Optima Store, thanks for clarifying! HID was the term I meant to use instead of projector, just couldn't think of it.
Absolutely, no problem at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts