Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has 83,XXX miles. just purchased use on 4/20/2021. Driving to interview about 65 MPH and then the car slowly just stopped accelerating. There was zero spudder or stall, it just slowly stopped going. pulled over right away and it would not start. Had it towed to my friends and hooked up a code reader and it said $E8 and $E9. I have no clue what to do from here and I'm not trying to spend a lot considering I just paid cash for this vehicle. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for any help I can get! Have a good day everyone.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
A quick google search shows $7E8 and the $7E9 are fuel/ air intake codes. but those are not the codes you mention.

Are you sure there wasn't a digit in your codes, between the dollar sign and the letter E?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
When you say it won't start, does the engine turn over but doesn't start, or the engine won't turn over?
Most times when the engine shuts down when driving, a new one is on the horizon, but don't want to get ahead of myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A quick google search shows $7E8 and the $7E9 are fuel/ air intake codes. but those are not the codes you mention.

Are you sure there wasn't a digit in your codes, between the dollar sign and the letter E?
the device i used did not have a digit in between.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say it won't start, does the engine turn over but doesn't start, or the engine won't turn over?
Most times when the engine shuts down when driving, a new one is on the horizon, but don't want to get ahead of myself.
it turns over just no start, it doesn't sound far off from being able to start

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least it doesn't appear to be kaput.:)
that sounds scary lol. this is my first kia and i know nothing about them, is there any common problems or anything i should be aware of or anything that is preventative that would be very helpful, thank you.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
that sounds scary lol. this is my first kia and i know nothing about them, is there any common problems or anything i should be aware of or anything that is preventative that would be very helpful, thank you.
You'll learn in a hurry. Make certain the KSDS update has been done along with the recalls and you get the lifetime engine warranty for what they term a debris issue, just a jink engine design, but a warranty. When the update is done, if the engine gives up, the CEL will light, P1326 and hopefully you'll be able to make it to the stealership, but some don't, they die where they are.
The 12's can have a problem with the turbo oil feed line, steering coupler, engine, a/c compressor valve, wastegate, suspension rust, end links, brakes/slider problems with high milege, taillights, headlights.

Just keep driving until a problem arises as there is nothing to do to delay the inevitable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll learn in a hurry. Make certain the KSDS update has been done along with the recalls and you get the lifetime engine warranty for what they term a debris issue, just a jink engine design, but a warranty. When the update is done, if the engine gives up, the CEL will light, P1326 and hopefully you'll be able to make it to the stealership, but some don't, they die where they are.
The 12's can have a problem with the turbo oil feed line, steering coupler, engine, a/c compressor valve, wastegate, suspension rust, end links, brakes/slider problems with high milege, taillights, headlights.

Just keep driving until a problem arises as there is nothing to do to delay the inevitable.
thank you for all the help, i have a mechanic coming this weekend and ill post what happens, once again thank you and have a good evening....

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
thank you for all the help, i have a mechanic coming this weekend and ill post what happens, once again thank you and have a good evening....
Strange that it would just shut off when running and still crank over as if trying to start, but
guess we'll find out this weekend. Can't wait for his diagnosis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so it's not getting fuel from the tank, the fuel pump doesn't make a sound. going to remove it tomorrow and test before i order the ridiculous over priced in tank fuel pump.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if there is any tips or anything i should know in regards to the in tank fuel pump i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
if there is any tips or anything i should know in regards to the in tank fuel pump i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Fairly simple install through the trunk and opening into the tank.
I've done a couple on an Optima, and to gain more access I undid the straps and dropped the tank down a bit, but that wasn't on 3rd gen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts