Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 SX-T with factory power folding mirrors. I folded them in today, when I folded them back out the drivers side motor will not stop running. The manual says that the interior fuse labeled "HTD MIRR" is supposed to control the folding mirror but when I pull it the motor still runs. It runs with the car off or on and the only way I can stop it is if I pull the "long term storage" dual fuse from the interior panel. My car is over 36,000 miles and out of warranty and I am the second owner. I can fold it by hand now and it feels sloppy, its not sturdy like the passenger side.

Anyone have any idea how to shut off the mirror motor?

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

I took the mirror part off and got inside the housing and found 2 wires leading to a small plug attached to the motor making the noise. I pulled the plug and that of course made the noise stop. At least now my battery won't get drained. I probably need a new motor assembly and gear, probably costs a fortune.

·
Banned
2016 Chevy SS
1,215 Posts
Might be cheaper to find a wrecked 2012 with an intact driver's side mirror at a junkyard. Considering it's an internal component, you don't have to worry about how it looks, just that it works.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Or you can just buy the whole kit. http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Driver-Replacement-Power-Mirror/dp/B00FFL8POW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1435027121&sr=1-1&keywords=Kia+Optima+Drivers+Side+Replacement+Power+Side+Mirror

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,490 Posts
$76 bucks, that's cheap. I was going to suggest rockauto or kiaparts or one of those places. Just replace the **** thing... also how at 36k miles are you out of warranty? The Kia's had like a 60K mile warranty. #confused.

·
09/2013 ROTM, 06/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima LX
2,828 Posts
Purchased that side mirror from amazon before for some reason did fold up as high as OEM one :sadbanana:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$76 bucks, that's cheap. I was going to suggest rockauto or kiaparts or one of those places. Just replace the **** thing... also how at 36k miles are you out of warranty? The Kia's had like a 60K mile warranty. #confused.
kia warranty';s don't transfer to different owners. and I am not sure the 100k warranty covers accessories, think its only for powertrain aka anything that touches oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2012 SX-T with factory power folding mirrors. I folded them in today, when I folded them back out the drivers side motor will not stop running. The manual says that the interior fuse labeled "HTD MIRR" is supposed to control the folding mirror but when I pull it the motor still runs. It runs with the car off or on and the only way I can stop it is if I pull the "long term storage" dual fuse from the interior panel. My car is over 36,000 miles and out of warranty and I am the second owner. I can fold it by hand now and it feels sloppy, its not sturdy like the passenger side.

Anyone have any idea how to shut off the mirror motor?

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

I took the mirror part off and got inside the housing and found 2 wires leading to a small plug attached to the motor making the noise. I pulled the plug and that of course made the noise stop. At least now my battery won't get drained. I probably need a new motor assembly and gear, probably costs a fortune.

trent,

when you pulled the plug, did you retain side blinker functionality?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Purchased that side mirror from amazon before for some reason did fold up as high as OEM one :sadbanana:
Would you have pictures of this?

·
Registered
84 Posts

I took the mirror part off and got inside the housing and found 2 wires leading to a small plug attached to the motor making the noise. I pulled the plug and that of course made the noise stop.
What color were the wires and how did you get to them? My driver's side mirror starting making the non-stop noise, and sure enough the "HTD MIRR" fuse does nothing, but I can't leave the double fuse unplugged, since that's the audio system and system memory (trip computer, etc...). I took off the side mirror, took off the glass, but couldn't get the defrosting wires off and couldn't get the back housing off, so I couldn't get to the wires. I ended up just leaving the Molex-type (not sure what the actual name is) connector unplugged. My mirror is already adjusted, I won't need the defrosting function for at least another 6 months, and I can live with the mirror not folding. It sucks the turn signal won't work for the mirror, but the front and rear turn signals work.

Now I'm trying to figure out which OEM/close-to-OEM part to get and where the best place to get the part painted is. I'm seeing close-to-OEM side mirror assemblies for about about $90-$110 and OEM ones are about $210-$250. Anyone have any recommendations on specific parts/websites? And any recommendations on where to get the mirror assembly painted?

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima
9 Posts
What color were the wires and how did you get to them? My driver's side mirror starting making the non-stop noise, and sure enough the "HTD MIRR" fuse does nothing, but I can't leave the double fuse unplugged, since that's the audio system and system memory (trip computer, etc...). I took off the side mirror, took off the glass, but couldn't get the defrosting wires off and couldn't get the back housing off, so I couldn't get to the wires. I ended up just leaving the Molex-type (not sure what the actual name is) connector unplugged. My mirror is already adjusted, I won't need the defrosting function for at least another 6 months, and I can live with the mirror not folding. It sucks the turn signal won't work for the mirror, but the front and rear turn signals work.

Now I'm trying to figure out which OEM/close-to-OEM part to get and where the best place to get the part painted is. I'm seeing close-to-OEM side mirror assemblies for about about $90-$110 and OEM ones are about $210-$250. Anyone have any recommendations on specific parts/websites? And any recommendations on where to get the mirror assembly painted?

In Aug 2018, my passenger mirror did the exact same issue, folding-motor would continue to run. Yes I read about the fuse, but that fuse or any other fuse does not exist. I ended up pulling the battery cable. After calling the KIA dealership, the serv-tech informed that the only way is to pull the battery cable and the entire mirror+assembly must be replaced as the motor has grounded/shorted. I have an extended warranty w/$100 deductible. Here is the price break down:
KIA Dealership in Houston, Texas
Total Labor (included $100 Electrical Diagnoses): $270
Total part (mirror assembly FP#87620-4C020): $328.25
Total color-key front mirror cap: $60
As for your warranty, not sure why you wouldn't have been covered; I purchased my 2012 Optima with 36,000 miles in 2015 from a non-KIA dealer and KIA honored their warranty all the way until it expired 60K/5 years.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Because I was way beyond 60,000 miles...

As for your warranty, not sure why you wouldn't have been covered; I purchased my 2012 Optima with 36,000 miles in 2015 from a non-KIA dealer and KIA honored their warranty all the way until it expired 60K/5 years.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima
19 Posts
This just happened to me. Both mirrors are constantly going. I just pulled the plug from each mirror so I can use the car, but now I can't adjust them and no blinkers there. Is there a way to disable the folding motor without disabling everything else?

It seems a mechanical switch inside the mirror is broken which tells it to stop. Also, the switch on the door panel can also stop it if I could figure out a way to disconnect it, but I think the switches are all one component.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same issue with my right side folding mirrors. It happened as I installed dome light and re-installed the fuse. How do I disconnect will keeping the marker light and the adjust function going? Which wire in the harness should I block from the pin?

·
Registered
1 Posts
kia warranty';s don't transfer to different owners. and I am not sure the 100k warranty covers accessories, think its only for powertrain aka anything that touches oil.
the warranty is on the car not the owner. Your car has a 60000 mile bumper to bumper warranty that should cover this mess. If the dealer won’t honor “the cars” warranty you should call the BBB on them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts