Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima LX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first forum post, so thank you for your help in this warm & inviting community.

I have a 2012 Optima, and I was driving it under normal conditions, when I pulled into a store and parked my car. I came back to find a coolant leak on the ground, barely any coolant in the car, and the car would not start. I still had all electrical power, dome light, radio, BT, etc. but I could not get the car to crank whatsoever. I did not see any smoke, nor was the car overheating at all. I was driving the car for about an hour and a half before it ceased to work. The car already had the engine replaced with Kia’s recall when it blew. Is this another case? Will they replace? Please help!

NOTE: I should add that the car was a salvage title before, and the radiator fan was replaced twice, and the radiator once.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,401 Posts
A salvage title doesn't affect emission, recall, parts, so you would still be covered by the lifetime engine warranty, if the engine has decided to expire once again. Realize that it was stated, the engine didn't overheat, however, if upon inspection their decision is that the problem is unrelated to the original engine problem recall, then you're on the hook.

Let us know what the outcome might be.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,631 Posts
I'm assuming the coolant leak is related to the engine not starting, but maybe it's totally coincidental, like it just happened to spring a leak at the same time that something else went bad. Could be something simple like a dead battery.

Do you have any engine symptoms you can describe? Maybe the battery is too low to crank, but has enough power to provide dome lights and radio etc.?

But when the battery is bad, the car does odd things.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,707 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

I am also going to lean toward the issue being the battery.

As also stated above, many times there will be enough power to have the electronics work.

However, not enough power to crank over the engine. Most likely the battery is going to be the issue.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
SXL
18 Posts
Just had same problem, my alt was charging my battery correctly not at 13.8 but it was fluctuating to 12 volts.well left trunk open and light stayed on just enough to drop the volts under 11.4 Car powered up but wouldnt turn over, applied jumper cables and another running car, and wala turned over.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima LX
18 Posts
I wonder how old that battery is. There might be a label on the battery. I would not trust a battery older than 5 years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Coolant leak at same time, hmmm. I had issue 11 ex-t that just random would not start, everything on, but no start when pushing button. Ended up being the brake peddle sensor, was like 10 minutes to replace and about $10. Once the contact goes bad, the push button start doesn't see brake applied. Many times when it goes bad, the brake lights will stay on after car is shut off, mine didn't do that until about 2 weeks later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts