Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owners manual says that there is no autotransaxle maintenance on my 2012 SX turbo. Can I even change the fluid? Or filter? Or do you just drive it until it fails?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if serviceable, what kind of ATF does it take, and not to get off the subject but what type of coolant does the engine use?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
You can drain and fill, no filter. As far as fluid type, I've used Valvoline Max Life Multi-Vehicle fluid for years and no problems. With the '11 2.0T,
the fluid has been changed twice, that I know off, first when I purchased the car 108,000 miles and second time 161,000 miles when the A/T
temp sensor was replaced, and now at 197,000 miles no problems.
How I did the job, drain then fill, drive until up to temp, then on level ground, removed the level check plug and fluid should run out, then tighten plug.
If for some reason it doesn't run out, add fluid until full. I used the level check plug hole to add the fluid.

As far as coolant, once again went with aftermarket coolant concentrate and used distilled water, but don't remember which
brand I used as with the 3 cars and a truck it becomes blurred.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Turbonut. Very useful info! Valvoline Max Life it is. Also, I guess any brand of "Asian Green" coolant should work for a flush and fill.
Bob

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Thanks, Turbonut. Very useful info! Valvoline Max Life it is. Also, I guess any brand of "Asian Green" coolant should work for a flush and fill.
Bob
I didn't care whether Asian, American, European, etc I purchased generic/universal coolant that was on sale and needed to change the fluid when one of
the ATF oil cooler lines had to be removed from the radiator, that was back in 2016 when I purchased the car, one of the problems that the seller didn't know how to address.
Good luck and need anything just ask.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
As I stated earlier, I didn't touch the eyebolt, just removed the level check bolt and used a curved funnel to put fluid into the trans.
No guess to how much to put in as it will flow out when filled.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was lazy and just measured what drained and replaced the same amount, figuring it it worked fine before it would after with the same amount in it...easy peasy....

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
I was lazy and just measured what drained and replaced the same amount, figuring it it worked fine before it would after with the same amount in it...easy peasy....
Many do that, but must ask, how does one know whether the drained fluid was actually at the full level? One would never know.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah I hear ya'.

We all have to assume something sooner or later.

Mine has no leaks whatsoever. I Assume the OPs does not since it was not mentioned.

I have 'heard' from some on here, there are 'suspicions' the factory underfilled (by who knows how much) the auto trans in USA builds.

So some folks, I've read, drain and fill with about 500mls over what was drained.

Again, though, my assumption is if it has worked properly for years on end, no leaks at all, then it would be a safe assumption to refill with same amount as drained. It works as before but following procedures is probably best as you say. Good day all!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think some of the under filled rumors come from the fact that the factory service manual proceedure for checking the fluid states to add 700 ml prior to checking the level. Given that 700 ml is 3/4 of a quart many people question why you would add so much fluid, then warm up the vehicle and THEN check the fluid. If you read the process it really doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I used to run a garage in the 1980s but my '12 SX is some new technology for me. My other car is a 1989 Lincoln MKVII LSC.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
140 Posts
Drain and refill twice with amsoil sig ATF. As others stated. Initial fill to check plug. Then run up to operating temp and check again. Drain excess from check plug until thin stream. Trans is smooth as can be on my 14. Did the wife’s sorento same way 30k miles ago. No issues. I did use the top fill plug. Just remove check level plug this way you don’t get the air burping. Easy job.

Coolant I used Pentosin A2 concentrate with distilled water. Drained coolant, removed thermostat then poured distilled water in top radiator hose into engine until it drained clear. Hooked everything back up, poured 1 gallon of Pentosin concentrate in radiator. Worked out perfectly. System holds about 2 gallons so it’s close to a 50/50 mixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Drain and refill twice with amsoil sig ATF. As others stated. Initial fill to check plug. Then run up to operating temp and check again. Drain excess from check plug until thin stream. Trans is smooth as can be on my 14. Did the wife’s sorento same way 30k miles ago. No issues. I did use the top fill plug. Just remove check level plug this way you don’t get the air burping. Easy job.

Coolant I used Pentosin A2 concentrate with distilled water. Drained coolant, removed thermostat then poured distilled water in top radiator hose into engine until it drained clear. Hooked everything back up, poured 1 gallon of Pentosin concentrate in radiator. Worked out perfectly. System holds about 2 gallons so it’s close to a 50/50 mixture.

I used Ravenol SP-IV, I've only done one D&F on saturday I'll do a second one next Saturday. The hardest things are making sure the vehicle is level and the removing the under shield splash guards that KIA felt was necessary to use 100 freaking fasteners.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
140 Posts
I used Ravenol SP-IV, I've only done one D&F on saturday I'll do a second one next Saturday. The hardest things are making sure the vehicle is level and the removing the under shield splash guards that KIA felt was necessary to use 100 freaking fasteners.
Yeah. I used ramps for front and jacked rear up to level position.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts