Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, been searching everywhere but in a bind now. My front end was actually hit and damaged, so while its getting repaired, I figured why not replace the stock fog light bezel w/ the additional DRL mod? Here's the product I purchased on ebay. Waiting for response. Issue is, it provides a harness, but leaves you w/ a female 5 prong harness to receive from current Fog Light male wiring adaptor. Stock fog light adaptor is only 2 prong. No other adaptor's provided.

Here's the product:
"First time post link prevented will post follow up"

Here's the pic of stock wiring harness (orange) towards stock fog light and mod harness after hooking up stock fog light and new drl bezel:

Any idea what kind of harness can convert the 2?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you in adance!

Rov

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the product:

Here's the pic of stock wiring harness (orange) towards stock fog light and mod harness after hooking up stock fog light and new drl bezel:

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,103 Posts
On the unit I purchased I used the 2 wires to the fog attached to the factory wire and the 2 for the drl created 2 new wires that ran across the front, connected to the other 2, then ran the wires to a circuit on the ignition on side. Now with 5? wires guess you'll need to see what wires power each unit.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,535 Posts
Wish I could help with how to wire this, but it is not correct, as it is not original parts from Kia.

These are the replica version of the real product offered by us and others by Kia from South Korea.

These are sold for around $28-$35 a set to people here in California, from China, and sold on eBay for really cheap.

The problem is, they burn out after just a few short months of use, due to the lack of a proper heat sink/PCB board internally.

You can read more about this as it was a huge issue here on the forum here about 6 or 7 years ago:

The thing that you may or may not know, is that the heatsink is a component within the inside of the LED Daytime Running Light. This would not be something you would notice whether it was there or not by inspecting the contents of the package or even after carefully examining the DRL's in your hand. You see, to cut costs when making these in China, the manufacturers do not include a heatsink which is a vital part needed to absorb the heat being produced from the LED's..

What happens is, over time from driving around with them on for extended periods, the LEDs heat up but have nowhere for the heat to go. Therefore eventually they will fail and start flickering on you or just plain stop working. This may happen in a month, it may happen in 6 months. However it depends on how much you drive. Regardless, make sure you know what your warranty is from whichever company you bought them from, so that if it does fail on you soon, you'll at least know how long you're covered for. Most likely the warranty will only be for 30-90 days. :(

Here is the thread we made back in 2013 once we realized they were not holding up over time and we cut ties with selling the knock off versions of them:

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,469 Posts
Hey folks, been searching everywhere but in a bind now. My front end was actually hit and damaged, so while its getting repaired, I figured why not replace the stock fog light bezel w/ the additional DRL mod? Here's the product I purchased on ebay. Waiting for response. Issue is, it provides a harness, but leaves you w/ a female 5 prong harness to receive from current Fog Light male wiring adaptor. Stock fog light adaptor is only 2 prong. No other adaptor's provided.

Here's the product:

Any other suggestions?

Thank you in adance!

Rov
This has been documented on the forums previously. Think its in the DIY section but feel free to leverage the great search capability here. What Turbonut said is essentially it as well. Its easy, done it myself too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts