Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys first time posting here and owning a Kia Optima now, got the car off auction and pretty noob but I have changed engine oil previously so have little knowledge of car works and we wanted to fix cars to learn more

So when we got the car, we turned on the car, the car was making juddering noises, we believe to be exhaust leak as we checked the motor mounts and it seemed fine but the main issue is the AC does not seem to cool, turned on the highest setting and it just blows warm air, we can see the compressor kicking in(as we noticed the compressor pulley spinning) but the radiator fan does not seem to work(with or without AC)(coolant is full)

Inspected for refrigerant and it was full, checked the radiator fan resistor and it's not burned out.

Checked youtube/google for some ideas

This is the things I need to check
  1. Fuse
  2. Relays
  3. Thermostat
  4. Manually powering the radiator fan to rule out fan issue
Is there anything else I need to lookout for?

I will check the above and will post the update

·
Registered
68 Posts
The pulley always spins for the compressor. It has a clutch of some sort from what I've read here. I believe Turbonut said something about a relay or something going bad on them.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
The pulley always spins for the compressor. It has a clutch of some sort from what I've read here. I believe Turbonut said something about a relay or something going bad on them.
(y)The compressor is a VDC, variable displacement compressor, and it is always engaged, no clutch, internals turn all the time, even when the a/c is off. Normally, the electronic control valve at the back side of the compressor is the culprit, in at least 99% of the cases. You say full, good static pressure, but nothing when the a/c is activated?
The valve can be purchased separately, but the system needs to be discharged, old valve removed, install new valve, pull vacuum, charge.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
Also just make sure there isn't a large stick or other debris blocking the radiator fan from spinning. Try disconnecting the battery and then turning the fan by hand, is it stuck or does it rotate freely?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts