Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 optima hybrid with about 142k miles. For about 3+ months now my car has been revving randomly while driving (goes up to 5000 rpms and car doesn't accelerate more) once I take my foot off the gas though, it stops. I have the display on the dash that tells me if the car's using gas engine or electric motor, and I've noticed that this issue only occurs when changing from elec to gas; it's almost as if it has a hard time starting the engine while I'm driving the car. Additionally the car also kicks pretty nastily sometimes, but that could be a separate issue.

I thought it was transmission issue at first but then after doing some research decided to change my spark plugs (I also replaced air filters and cleaned throttle body at the time), but that didn't work. I did notice some oil in one or two of the spark plug wells and plan replacing the value cover gasket assembly soon. Upon further research, I found out it could be the MAP sensor, so I bought one off amazon for $12 (too cheap?) and it actually seemed to help, but after about two days the issue returned and is kind of worse.

I have no check engine light on and am not sure what to do, please help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 2011 KOH at 177k miles. However, it appears that when it hesitates, stalls, its usually in between 60-75 mph when accelerating and switchin from hybrid & engine acceleration to engine. I also get an Oil indicator briefly when it occurs. The stall doesn't happen every day, though. I've changed the oil but the indicator still shows briefly when it stalls/slips like this.

I've read on this forum where one person may have had an issue with an oil pump controller unit. 2011 Hybrid Transmission/Transaxle issues?

I hope someone will chime in on this thread and help us out!!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had jerky shifting and high revving with no acceleration. Also oil light came on with hard shifts. Changed transmission fluid and problem went away. Don't flush just change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had jerky shifting and high revving with no acceleration. Also oil light came on with hard shifts. Changed transmission fluid and problem went away. Don't flush just change.
I flushed mine and I still get the stall, however it doesn't occur as often now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been meaning to change (drain, add, drive, repeat until old oil is gone), but since the transmission is sealed it's a little challenging without coughing up the $200 the dealership is asking for to do it, plus I already bought some ATF, so this is definitely on my to-do-list.

I will update when I have done this, and let you know if it resolves/helps the issue.

Thanks for your replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts