Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found the update on the Kia website It is for a 2015 optima the closest to my 2012 Optima. Can I put that update on my 2012 optima? there is no update for a 2012 optima for Navigation on the website. I have a 4. something and this is a 5. something. I think is the right update just want to be sure. I don't want to screw up my navigation with the wrong update. Anyone done this are know?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,297 Posts
No, the update is not on the Kia website.

The correct update is on the Mapnsoft website, try here:
Kia Mapcare | Customer Login

You may need to create an account. Anyway, for my 2012, I already installed the update from last year. You order it and it's delivered in a DVD box, except it's a USB drive inside the box, not a DVD. This is a great deal for $25, because years ago it was like over $100 for the update.

Anyway, you have to read the guide on how to do this, because you need to go into your car's menu and look up the device ID that is specific you your Nav device unique to your car. Once you have that number, you provide it to Mapnsoft, so they will be able to key the software to your specific car so the install will be successful.

here is more info from mapnsoft: "Please find the vehicle’s unique 10-digit number to create authentication code. This can be found in the System Info/System Update screen in vehicle head unit. Please refer to Vehicle Installation Instructions to find this number. Incorrect Device ID will lead to update failure. For questions, call 1-888-757-0010."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked it out it 25.00 plus tax 2.52 and 17.77 to ship the shipping a rip-off total is 45.29 this is the only way to update! thank you for all the info. will do this soon.:)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
614 Posts
An Update SHOULD occur in October so Don't buy NOW until it happens / a call to them may clarify..
I STILL can login to KingFatty's site but mine shows the $25 SD Card mailed to you BUT below that shows - Or Download for Free - which I have done several times.
I think someone mentioned the Free Download may have been withdrawn, So we'll have to see on this (supposed) upcoming Update.
Kia actually posted a New Nav Update site as being -- Official Kia - Navigation Update Website -- the prior Free downloads required us to install the Updater mentioned on this "official" Kia Update site, so read when able.

Reactions: Herrick

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did the update when I got my car earlier this year, and it was probably the first update the car ever had.

While useful, there are still a ton of places that aren't registered in my map, at least by using the poi or phone number searches. And strangely not a single chick fil a shows up; I have to punch in the direct address.

On the plus side, song information now gets transmitted when listening to Bluetooth which wasn't the case before the update.

So long story short, it's probably worth the update if it's been several years since the last update. But at ~50 per update, it's probably not worth it yearly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An Update SHOULD occur in October so Don't buy NOW until it happens / a call to them may clarify..
I STILL can login to KingFatty's site but mine shows the $25 SD Card mailed to you BUT below that shows - Or Download for Free - which I have done several times.
I think someone mentioned the Free Download may have been withdrawn, So we'll have to see on this (supposed) upcoming Update.
Kia actually posted a New Nav Update site as being -- Official Kia - Navigation Update Website -- the prior Free downloads required us to install the Updater mentioned on this "official" Kia Update site, so read when able.
[/QUO
I did the update when I got my car earlier this year, and it was probably the first update the car ever had.

While useful, there are still a ton of places that aren't registered in my map, at least by using the poi or phone number searches. And strangely not a single chick fil a shows up; I have to punch in the direct address.

On the plus side, song information now gets transmitted when listening to Bluetooth which wasn't the case before the update.

So long story short, it's probably worth the update if it's been several years since the last update. But at ~50 per update, it's probably not worth it yearly.
I would do it only one time. just got my 2012 optima 2 weeks ago and saw the nav version is 4.2 they are up to 15.3 now so I think I will do it one time. Kia is a great car in design and features! So easy to work on. I love this car. So many features! :) :)(y)😍

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Yes, the Mapnsoft is for older nav systems, and the Kia-run site is for newer (like 2015 and later I think?) so which site you go to will depend on how old your car is. For example, the older cars don't even have a memory slot, so you cannot use a memory card. I think the newer cars have the download option for use with a memory card?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes KingFatty, I download on to a USB, glad I asked because it says 2015 but I have an Optima 2012. I saw that about the sim card.
Good info thank you!:)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Yes KingFatty, I download on to a USB, glad I asked because it says 2015 but I have an Optima 2012. I saw that about the sim card.
Good info thank you!:)
Were you able to access the menu of your Nav system to find out your device ID?

If your software installation is not customized around that device ID, the installation should fail.

I'm hoping you do not try to install the software intended for a 2015 model year onto your 2012 nav system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes found the id number. I did not try the update thank god. glad I ask here first. My 2012 optima nav. version is 4.0.3 I think the new one now is 15.06 so mine I don't think has ever been updated. I will update in a month doing other things to it now repaired both mirrors, removed rear window tint, replace plugs, coolant, swaybar links, buying a new spare tire cause I don't have one.lol, tire jack whole kit for 51 bucks with the form holder. next will change auto trans fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts