Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please someone help!
Last week my 2012 kia optima shut down on me while I was driving. It was driving fine until I hit the gas hard to get in front of a car that was driving slow.
My mechanic replaced the battery and the starter. The starter was really bad and needed replacing. So after all of that he said the car still will not start. He checked sparked plugs and they are fine. He thinks that it's the timing chain. I went to the kia dealership and service department employee told me that it shouldn't be the timing chain.
My mechanic is now checking the timing chain and is going to let me know by noon if it's broke or skipped.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
Did it run afterwards?

It sounds like your engine locked up and you need to go to the dealer for the warranty repairs on your engine.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
CEL on dash? If so, have that code read at auto zone or like place (unless you have an odb2 reader handy).

Air, fuel, compression and spark are base requirements. Did mechanic check for these?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
Please someone help!
Last week my 2012 kia optima shut down on me while I was driving. It was driving fine until I hit the gas hard to get in front of a car that was driving slow.
My mechanic replaced the battery and the starter. The starter was really bad and needed replacing. So after all of that he said the car still will not start. He checked sparked plugs and they are fine. He thinks that it's the timing chain. I went to the kia dealership and service department employee told me that it shouldn't be the timing chain.
My mechanic is now checking the timing chain and is going to let me know by noon if it's broke or skipped.

Thanks so much
I don't know why you agreed to have a starter put in when the starter has nothing to do with a vehicle stop running while you're driving. Always have your battery load tested before changing that out also. Sounds like you wasted a lot of money there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like the dealer and your mechanic are trying to take your wallet for a ride. First thing done should've been reading any codes that were thrown, if there were any. My '11 didn't throw any codes when it shut off on me while heavy on the gas. The dealer jumped it and drove it in after 2 days of me trying to figure it out what it's deal was. Even tried jumping it twice myself. 1 day and $150 later, they said something about the starter possibly. Has run fine since without me doing a **** thing.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX-T
15 Posts
Ever figure out what it was? I had an issue similar to this and it was the fuel pump. It failed at 53k miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please someone help!

Thanks so much
My car is a 2014 kia Optima. Mine did the same thing. It stalled on me in the middle of traffic. Srartedcit back up drove to a jiffy lube right down the street. The closest place around. My check engine light was blinking on and off. The mechanic immediately said that's not good. He checked it and two codes came back. Had it towed to kia dealership. They called me and told me I needed a new engine. Called the kia recall line gave them my VIN and came back I was abke to get approved for a new engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts