Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this car for my 17 yr old daughter. Took for a drive and hammered the gas pedal and went about an 1/8th of a mile full throttle. Let off pedal and car died...Thought that was weird. Went home and in park hit gas pedal to about 4/5k and let off quick and died again. New to turbos...any guesses? car has 147k. One owner and clean other than that. Help please!!

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
264 Posts
CEL come on? If so, did it Blink rapidly? Again if so, what is code?

And no, that is not normal for a turbo or any engine.

Personally, I don't like WOT on any engine, especially an older one, which is all I own.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,101 Posts
Maybe it's starving for fuel or air?

Maybe try a test to separate whether the problem is caused by throttle position, or by quick movements of the throttle:

Does the problem happen when you carefully ease on or off of high throttle when releasing the pedal slowly?

Does the engine die if you aggressively hit the throttle without going full throttle?

I'm trying to think about what conditions result in the engine stall. Like high RPM low throttle position maybe? I wonder if you are cruising at low throttle and you manually downshift without hitting the gas, will that cause a stall?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check engine light didn't come on. We bought this car at a local dealership, which in this case I'm happy we did. Called them and they are going to fix it. Normally I don't like to buy used cars from dealers but most cars we looked at from private owners were junk. This was a 1 owner car and very clean. So we will see what the dealership says about it and I'll post what happens. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well got the news from Kia that the engine is toast. Covered under the recall. As soon as Kia has a loaner car we will get one and my daughter will have a new engine in her car she only got to drive one day.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,216 Posts
Well got the news from Kia that the engine is toast. Covered under the recall. As soon as Kia has a loaner car we will get one and my daughter will have a new engine in her car she only got to drive one day.
Another one bites the dust, but unusual the CEL didn't come on, especially if it had all the upgrades/recall.
Good luck and with the new engine you'll be good to go until something else goes wrong. With summer coming, keep your fingers crossed the
A/C continues to work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had the same problem with stalling after full throttle last November.
Changed the spark plugs the next day and that seemed to solve it for a couple weeks before noticing a knocking sound from the engine at around 2500 RPM.
A couple weeks later the "Check Engine" light started blinking and the car went into limp mode.
Luckily freeway traffic was light (a Sunday) so I limped my way to the dealer left it there.
They swapped the motor under warranty and I picked up by Friday. (The lame "Kia West" dealer wouldn't provide a loaner vehicle though)
Car now accelerates like it's brand new again.

I'm beginning to think the stalling after full throttle problem is a symptom that the motor's going to fail soon, though I can't think of a reason why it should do that.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
264 Posts
...I'm beginning to think the stalling after full throttle problem is a symptom that the motor's going to fail soon, though I can't think of a reason why it should do that.

Right - the software update to detect excessive engine vibrations is exactly what is doing that - to prevent it from blowing itself up which is more dangerous than an limp home....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts