Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im hoping someone could point be in the right direction because no one apparently knows whats going on with my car, including Kia. Ive had the car since 81k miles and it now has 91k miles. It was driving perfectly fine no issues. At about 89k i was driving to Walmart, parked and when I got back to my car and started it, the dreaded P2562 came up (Turbo boost control sensor circuit A). Then when I was driving home I found that it felt like the turbo was off there was no boost so I looked it up and saw that the EWGA has to be adjusted to be near 4.2v. I then adjusted it to that and also changed the battery because it was reading 10v instead of 12.5v. After I changed the battery the car started working again until the same thing happened again only this time there was no CEL or code, there was just no boost after I went into high RPM almost like the waste-gate shut off and was stuck open and there was no boost it would struggle to go over 60mph. I took it to the dealer and they charged me 50 dollars to tell me there is nothing wrong, no codes, and the EWGA is within correct voltage (they then proceeded to say its actually in the perfect range). I got the car back and still same problem. the car was working and right when i give it more throttle then usual all boost just turns off. Then i shut the car off turn it on and it works. Still no codes. Then i was driving and i took it out of eco mode and immediately it lost all boost so that led me to believe its something with the ECU since there was apparently an ECU flash or update from kia to fix EWGA issues. Dealer told me thats not it. A couple of miles later i turned it off and it cooled down since I didn't drive for a couple of hours. When i got back the magical P2562 turned the CEL right back on and no power at all and restarting didn't fix it. I drove it like that and my gas tank was almost empty, then when I just refilled and started driving again the CEL went away and there was no problems drove like normal. At this point I know my EWGA doesn't need adjustment, and if i need a new EWGA why would it quit working then start working again back and forth over and over again. This makes me believe there is an issue within the ECU but I don't know anymore. If someone has had this issue fixed or knows what it is please help because at this point the stealership wants me to leave it with them for multiple weeks so they can "diagnose the problem further" aka charge me 500 for a stupid diagnostic only to be useless. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,465 Posts
Check to see if your alternator is working as it should and charging the battery correctly. The issue sounds like a low volts problem (bad battery, bad alternator, bad cables, etc.). I'd also check your various ground straps/cables to be sure they are tight and clean (making good contact, etc.) between the frame and the engine block.

FYI: On a different car, I had a bad alternator take out a good battery. After having to replace both, car was normal again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check to see if your alternator is working as it should and charging the battery correctly. The issue sounds like a low volts problem (bad battery, bad alternator, bad cables, etc.). I'd also check your various ground straps/cables to be sure they are tight and clean (making good contact, etc.) between the frame and the engine block.

FYI: On a different car, I had a bad alternator take out a good battery. After having to replace both, car was normal again.
I went over that as well with a multimeter, while the car was on battery was reading 14.5v. The battery I had on before was 5 years old so it made sense that it went out but alternator was doing its job. Ground points are all clean and tight as well. Ill probably do a once over to make sure but im almost positive everything there is good.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,465 Posts
I went over that as well with a multimeter, while the car was on battery was reading 14.5v. The battery I had on before was 5 years old so it made sense that it went out but alternator was doing its job. Ground points are all clean and tight as well. Ill probably do a once over to make sure but im almost positive everything there is good.
You can get a free alternator load test done at several auto parts stores that test it under load while on the car which will reveal the true condition of the alternator in order to rule this out. Don't just trust your voltmeter readings.

Reactions: alpha.r6s

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im hoping someone could point be in the right direction because no one apparently knows whats going on with my car, including Kia. Ive had the car since 81k miles and it now has 91k miles. It was driving perfectly fine no issues. At about 89k i was driving to Walmart, parked and when I got back to my car and started it, the dreaded P2562 came up (Turbo boost control sensor circuit A). Then when I was driving home I found that it felt like the turbo was off there was no boost so I looked it up and saw that the EWGA has to be adjusted to be near 4.2v. I then adjusted it to that and also changed the battery because it was reading 10v instead of 12.5v. After I changed the battery the car started working again until the same thing happened again only this time there was no CEL or code, there was just no boost after I went into high RPM almost like the waste-gate shut off and was stuck open and there was no boost it would struggle to go over 60mph. I took it to the dealer and they charged me 50 dollars to tell me there is nothing wrong, no codes, and the EWGA is within correct voltage (they then proceeded to say its actually in the perfect range). I got the car back and still same problem. the car was working and right when i give it more throttle then usual all boost just turns off. Then i shut the car off turn it on and it works. Still no codes. Then i was driving and i took it out of eco mode and immediately it lost all boost so that led me to believe its something with the ECU since there was apparently an ECU flash or update from kia to fix EWGA issues. Dealer told me thats not it. A couple of miles later i turned it off and it cooled down since I didn't drive for a couple of hours. When i got back the magical P2562 turned the CEL right back on and no power at all and restarting didn't fix it. I drove it like that and my gas tank was almost empty, then when I just refilled and started driving again the CEL went away and there was no problems drove like normal. At this point I know my EWGA doesn't need adjustment, and if i need a new EWGA why would it quit working then start working again back and forth over and over again. This makes me believe there is an issue within the ECU but I don't know anymore. If someone has had this issue fixed or knows what it is please help because at this point the stealership wants me to leave it with them for multiple weeks so they can "diagnose the problem further" aka charge me 500 for a stupid diagnostic only to be useless. Any help is appreciated.
I had the same exact problem once when the car was fairly new and more recently.
first time adjusting volts fixed it for several years second adjusted again but about 11 months later it came back and it was weird how sometimes I could off and on the car and it would reset but other times it would remain that way and eventually I couldn’t clear it so back in it went, it was due for a service anyway, so they checked and volts we perfect so they recommended replacing the assembly and since it had been fixed 11 months ago they asked Kia if they could do the job for free Kia ok’d that repair and I have not had any issue since.
i have a 2012 Sx btw 104000miles I love the car never had a serious issue that wasn’t resolved to my satisfaction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.