Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read the mega threads on engine replacements, but no exact situation like mine. I was hoping for a response relatively soon so I can know what I’m talking about if the dealer tries to pull a quick one.

It’s a 2012 Kia Optima LX with 128k miles, bought used at 18k. Engine started making knocking sounds & acting up, would sound like it was stalling when accelerating. Oddly enough getting an oil change made it go away, but the issue would come back thousands of miles before I was due for an oil change. Recently the check engine light came on, I took it to a local mechanic who read the codes and decided it was nothing serious, just a sensor. A week later, I was driving down the highway and the check engine light began flashing. I could feel the vehicle losing power so I immediately pulled over and got it towed to the same mechanic I usually go to. This time they said it’s something more serious that they aren’t able to do in shop. They mentioned something like full replacement or head gasket, but they aren’t sure. I then had it towed to the Kia dealership. I spoke to someone and asked if I could be covered under warranty or a recall. They said they need to take a look at it to see what’s going on before they would know.

My question is, what exactly does fall under the warranty? What is the warranty? Even after reading these forums it’s unclear to me. Some claim they were turned down for being over 120k, others with much higher mileage were covered. I either didn’t receive the initial recall, or I didn’t take it in because my dealership is not that close and my car had run perfect up until then— would the fact that I didn’t take it in for that recall disqualify me from getting the free replacement? I’m really stressing out as I can’t afford to pay for a new engine out of pocket. I never had a single major issue with the vehicle up until now. Any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There's never any guarantee they'll cover anything. I've heard all kinds of stories. If it wasn't due to the issue they recalled them for, your chances of replacement probably go way down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's never any guarantee they'll cover anything. I've heard all kinds of stories. If it wasn't due to the issue they recalled them for, your chances of replacement probably go way down.
Surprisingly, I got the call a couple days ago simply saying that they’re going to replace it under warranty. I wasn’t about to argue or ask questions. I was not feeling optimistic because of the mileage. Maybe the fact I bought the car at that exact dealership helped a bit? I will update with what the exact issue was.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts