Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Hybrid
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid with 114,089 on it; I am being told the hybrid battery is bad. Less than 200 miles ago, the Hybrid System Warning started coming up occasionally, after getting past the Ransomware attack and finally getting it in to be serviced they first did the normal TSB and replaced the fuse (including the labor to replace). After I picked up the car I drove it 1 mile and the light and warning came on again, it was past Service Hours so needed to take it back in the next day.
This time they were supposed to do the full "black box" test and try to determine what the real problem was, today they called and said the battery is bad and confirmed it is out of warranty (which is true for 100K, but not 10 years).
At the dealership's suggestion, I called Kia Customer Care and opened a case with them to see if we could do something. The initial reply is No, it is too far out of the mileage warranty. But they are going to do the Good Will Request, but it does not sound like it will get very far.
I have/had been VERY happy with the car, and was looking forward to driving for a few more years before looking at a new car (maybe even the new Sorento Hybrid), but if the battery cannot last 10 years, then I don't know if that is the direction I want to go with Kia.
Has anyone else had any luck with getting a Good Will exclusion with Kia?
Who has had a Hybrid Battery replace, and how many miles before the failure?
There are a few options for Non-Dealership replacement, has anyone tried any of these?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
344 Posts
Hybrid batteries are made up of modules, each containing a few more smaller batteries. When the ECU detects one or more modules is not up to snuf and overall high voltage drops, its issues the warnings and of course the vehicle may not perform well.

So usually when the batteries are repaired, only the bad modules are replaced. I'd look into non-dealer options, far less expensive. I did it for a prius, much different but the cost still isn't "cheap", about $800 with a couple year warranty. Luck.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Hybrid
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after a month of" waiting on someone" I finally got my answer that Kia will NOT offer any assistance, since I have found OEM batteries with better warranties and 1/2 the cost of what the dealership wants, guess that will be the route I go :mad:
Very disappointed with Kia, I thought they might do something since it was still within the 10 years, but since it was 14K past the 100K part of the warrant, it was no luck.
I will have to see if Kia has lost a future customer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi BrockMcDonald are you in California? If you are in a state that follows California state emissions law the 2012 Kia Optima gets a 15year 150k battery warranty. I have issues with my 2011 where I keep getting P1B74 but I was able to get the car to charger on the highway to 11 bars. It still goes into hybrid mode and seems to operate fine. Check your owners manual the warranty one.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Hybrid
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, live in Florida, after about 4 weeks finally got the "NO" from Kia, so decided to replace with an after market battery from Best Hybrid Batteries (Hybrid Battery Replacement and Repair - Best Hybrid Batteries), they had a better warranty and were about 1/2 the price. Went ahead and used a local installer they recommended, they said they had done a lot, and only had 1 bad battery come from them, and was covered quickly and easily through the warranty process.
They did a better job than Kia, letting me know they did figure out there was one bad cell in the battery.
Still disappointed that Kia would not cover since was out of the warranty (114K past 100K, but at 9 years). The dealership said sometime they might offer to cover parts or part of cost, but they gave me nothing.
So far happy with the new battery :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts