Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My optima hybrid has about 130k miles on it and works perfectly except for this one odd issue that I nor the dealer can figure out. Every so ofter (about once a month), the car will for no reason act as if the 12v is totally dead. However, I do not believe that this is the case. My jumper box has a volt meter on it and before I energize the jumper cables I read the voltage from the battery and it is always around 12.4 to 12.6 volts. However, whenever I power on the jumper box, the car instantly jumps to life and blares the alarm. Then it behaves normally as if nothing has happened. No lights on the dash, no errors from the OBD port as stated by the dealer. Does anyone have any ideas? The dealer doesn't seem to believe me (they think I am some kind of ditz) and just keeps wanting to charge me $30 to replace the key fob battery. They say nothing is wrong with the car, the main pack, or the 12 volt. Has anyone experienced such an issue? Could it be a drain protection feature that is automatically activating because the car thinks there is an abnormal draw somewhere?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima LX
16 Posts
You don't say whether your current battery is original or not. If it is more than five years old, replace it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can replace the key fob battery for a couple bucks. Just pry it open with a knife and swap out the battery. It's a generic CR 2032. If you need to replace the 12 volt battery in the trunk it's a special type called an AGM battery. The last I knew it was only available from the dealer and costs almost $400. You can change it yourself in less than 5 minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts