Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, have had car since new. Self mantained with regular synthetic oil etc. Well, everything is original and the engine
just dies with a BANG on freeway and oil dispersed smoke (can't see where it came from.... engine oil is still half full).
now.. this car is a boat anchor. towed it home (Actually my son was driving) again ASSUMED it was a tranny failure.. but oil
was near engine...took air box out (was going to check tranny fluid and refill.. then see good size chunks of metal in airbox intake area ... clearly this looks like an engine issue. OF course engine will not start (Get hybrid failure). Well, called KIA.. nothing they want/can do with 172k and self maintained. Suggestions? Stories if DIY engine replace on hybrid? Appreciate if you point me to any posts or links to best help me procure and engine and options to DIY or not. Thanks.. always loved this car (except for its UNIQUE shifting anomolys... particular the accelaration delays and sometimes "interesting" shift decisions.
Thanks for any advice to getting this on the road again... This car has been amazing.. Original everything..even brakes (exept tires of course... changed oil and plugs and other maint items_

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
You're not the first to have the gas engine go, but a used engine would be the way to go, providing you want to put money into the car. Not certain of your location, but:
www.car-part.com

There are yards that do engine swaps, or know a shop that can do the job. I know a yard that has 8 people handling the phones, do trans/engine installs, and has a 2012 Hybrid gas engine 51,000 miles $800, installation? really don't know the cost, maybe $1000. Best part is that if they install the engine and the engine is bad they'll do it again, no charge.
Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi that needed a trans, purchased a used unit and let them do the install, trans didn't shift properly so they did it again, zero cost.

There are parts that are the same with the Hybrid as well as conventional Optima engine, but not certain as to why the Hybrid gas engine isn't included in the recall, but from day one it wasn't part of the recall, but it isn't a GDI engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS for your reply... I'm in Northern CA (Bay area $$$$) I found a 75k engine for 1900 and 1500 to install. I'm would love to find cheaper... but then fear trans could go.. I'm pretty handy... almost willing to try myself... but for 2000 including labor I would do it tomorrow... THANKS again... Oh.. found issue, 3x4 inch hole in rear of engine block..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts