Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is an advanced technician in the group I would love to pick your brain. I currently have a 2013 SXL 2.0 turbo. My previous Optima was a 2011 SX 2.0 turbo. You would think they would have similar performance. Not even close. My 2011 had extreme acceleration, to the point it would actually scare you a bit. The gas mileage on a long trip would get 36.6 at least that was on a trip of 300 miles, speeds in excess of the limit,
My current Optima has no where near the acceleration and the gas mileage struggles to achieve 30mpg I am not complaining overall still a good vehicle , but is there something I can do to get that same performance and mileage ? Every tech I talk to looks at me live a deer in the head lights .

I purchased both cars new and I know my 13 is old at this point but over the years no one has been able to give me a good reason for the significant difference between the two even though the same engine.
The only thing I do know is my 11 was assembled in Korea and the 13 in the U.S

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
Hmm, maybe your 2013 is somehow underperforming.

Have you checked that the turbo is giving you sufficient boost?

Maybe you can use a phone-based app to check your acceleration performance and see if it looks right. Or, get an actual dyno test.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car has been to the dealer over the years for various service requirements. I have asked and supposedly everything seems right on the computer scan. I was curious if there is a physical difference or am I just being yes’d at the dealer Without anyone actually looking into it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Are you using the same fuel, Is the turbo the same, are there any pressure losses in the system, do you have a similar performing intercooler?

Or, is this a case of "rose colored glasses"?

Either way, there are a lot of data points to consider, and hard data is a must.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts