Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took car to shop was told #3 cylinder was full of oil no compression and the valve was broke off inside. Long block was replaced by KIA at 87K.
Question is should I rebuild entire engine or top half or go for a used.. Need some direction Please Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wouldn't buy a used. You never know how the previous owner treated the engine. As far as half or whole engine, I'll defer to someone with more mechanical knowledge than me.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
If you install a used engine, and Kia isn't aware of the installation, wouldn't that engine be eligible for the lifetime warranty?
As you've had one replaced before, as I have, don't know if there's any info on the block to be able for them to distinguish the difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would imagine the engine has a serial number tied to the vehicle. My latest engine has a QR code right above the serp belt. Could just be for inventory purposes though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Took car to shop was told #3 cylinder was full of oil no compression and the valve was broke off inside. Long block was replaced by KIA at 87K.
Question is should I rebuild entire engine or top half or go for a used.. Need some direction Please Thanks guys!!
Why was this not covered by warranty? Cyl 3 seems to be go-to for these siezing issues. It didn't sieze up causing the valve to break off inside?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts