Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have 2011 Optima SX 2.0T with 194,000 miles still runs well but recently these lights came on (check engine, ecs, abs, and parking break even though its disengaged..). I took it to dealer to get checked and they said it seems like internal damage in the engine wiring harness and invoice is over $4k for cost. Then I went to my regular auto shop and they said even if wiring harness is replaced, there can be other issues so he doesn't recommend fixing it but instead buying a new car.

I got the car from dealer without fixing it and I am driving it with ecs light on (other lights come on and off). I want to keep driving it since it seems like it can go for more miles but afraid bigger issues might start to happen. So I am planning on getting a new 2021 K5 soon. What would be some advice on what I should do 1) Keep driving with possible more problems or 2) Get a new car and not worry about engine issues and others because of high mileage?

Thank you !

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What is the value of the car? Probably not 4k?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
I would want to know what the CEL codes are. Did the dealer list them out for you?

Once you know the codes, you can try clearing with either a 30 minute battery disconnect or use a tool like Torque or a cheap odb2 scanner. Then drive and see if the codes return.

I would advise you do not buy another Kia - they are cheaply engineered and manufactured autos, ok but not Great.

Go Toyota if you want a reliable, no non-sense, tried and true automobile. I own 5, with mileage on all original engines/transmissions ranging from 75K to 328K, trouble free on all of them.

Luck and Merry New Year!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
I would advise you do not buy another Kia - they are cheaply engineered and manufactured autos, ok but not Great.
Luck and Merry New Year!
Here's something that I wholeheartedly agree with, but add Hyundai to the list, both in the cellar.

OP, we need the codes. There have been wiring problems with the harness for the KSDS, so if you had
all the updates, surprised KIA didn't mention that, but back to your problem.
If you can do the work yourself, great, but if not, just keep driving the car, what can happen, engine seize and then
you'd get a new engine, hopefully, but dealing with Kia, might now be questionable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would want to know what the CEL codes are. Did the dealer list them out for you?

Once you know the codes, you can try clearing with either a 30 minute battery disconnect or use a tool like Torque or a cheap odb2 scanner. Then drive and see if the codes return.

Go Toyota if you want a reliable, no non-sense, tried and true automobile. I own 5, with mileage on all original engines/transmissions ranging from 75K to 328K, trouble free on all of them.

Luck and Merry New Year!
They did not give the codes.. just commented "internal short in engine wire harness"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's something that I wholeheartedly agree with, but add Hyundai to the list, both in the cellar.

OP, we need the codes. There have been wiring problems with the harness for the KSDS, so if you had
all the updates, surprised KIA didn't mention that, but back to your problem.
If you can do the work yourself, great, but if not, just keep driving the car, what can happen, engine seize and then
you'd get a new engine, hopefully, but dealing with Kia, might now be questionable.
Yea if engine fails I would get new engine but you mean if Kia will cover it right?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
Yea if engine fails I would get new engine but you mean if Kia will cover it right?
Yes, if all updates have been done and the engine seizes, that should be covered as long as they determine that the problem was related to the debris issue. Given Kia's latest tactics concerning engine replacement, that's not a 100% guarantee.

That's all it's worth to the dealer, but in reality they're given you absolutely zero for the car as you could purchase a new vehicle with money off the list price w/o a trade in. Too bad you're not closer, for the money good car to tinker with.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
OP - learn what the CEL codes are (The Truth) and it will set you Free. Knowledge is Power.

Sure you'll only give you a grand, car stealerships are in the business of screwing folks over on trade ins. They suck for Everything except warranty work.

Take you still OK driving car to auto zone and ask them to read the codes, takes all of 1 minute, then tell us what those codes are. Otherwise, this thread is going no where.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP - learn what the CEL codes are (The Truth) and it will set you Free. Knowledge is Power.

Sure you'll only give you a grand, car stealerships are in the business of screwing folks over on trade ins. They suck for Everything except warranty work.

Take you still OK driving car to auto zone and ask them to read the codes, takes all of 1 minute, then tell us what those codes are. Otherwise, this thread is going no where.....
Thanks for your advice. I should learn the codes so I know whats the error is. And I should've asked earlier....
I decided to buy the new K5.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts