Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off it is a 2011 Optima, 2.4,143k miles. Never had any issues other than routine maintenance.
Driving home, it died, I coasted into a parking lot. Tried restarting and it won’t turn over. I can hear the starter click, all the lights, everything works. Even tried jumping it off. It almost seems as if the starter is locked up but that wouldn’t have caused it to die while driving. Also a couple times when trying to start it, it tried to turn the engine but it acts as if it is seized. I really hope not.
Any input on what it sounds like to y’all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: It was very simple and easy. Had the car towed to the dealership today around 1:00. He told us he would get it inside and check it out and let us know as soon as he found out what the deal was. About 4:00 he called and said it does need a engine and Kia has approved the replacement and new engine is ordered and hegot us a rental car reserved at Enterprise and we went and picked it up. Wasn’t really expecting it to be that simple.
We have the rental car for 8 days but he said if it happens to be longer they will extend the rental.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you take yours in for the check-up and they replaced the stock yellow dipstick with an Orange colored one??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you take yours in for the check-up and they replaced the stock yellow dipstick with an Orange colored one??
Yes they did another recall last April and they did change the oil and changed the dipstick to the orange one at that time but never mentioned it to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Now THAT is nice to know......ours is an early Korean built 2011 and we took ours in and it "passed" and we got the Orange dipstick. I truly hope ours doesn't go TU but its nice to know that we have the additional powertrain warranty from the recall(y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now THAT is nice to know......ours is an early Korean built 2011 and we took ours in and it "passed" and we got the Orange dipstick. I truly hope ours doesn't go TU but its nice to know that we have the additional powertrain warranty from the recall(y)
I was told yesterday that if it is knocking or locked up Kia doesn’t question anything. Previously passing the test and getting the orange dipstick only means it didn’t show any metal in the oil at that point but doesn't affect the recall in the future. Like ours gave zero warning, no knocking, no engine light or anything. It just shut down. Oil looked clean on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
9 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me with my 2011 EX 2.4. Took it in under recall and they checked it and said it was ok. About 2 months later (at 117,000 miles) it locked up at a stop light. Dealership replaced the engine and set me up with a rental car. The whole process couldn't have gone any smoother. Happy yours turned out well too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.