Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was doing around 70 on interstate when the car felt like it shifted funny and cut out the gasoline engine. Still had battery power as I began to pull over and the wrench light came on in the dash. Turn off the car halfway up an interstate exit as I ran out of hybrid battery. Try to turn it back on and car goes "ready" but then it begins to flash the ready light after a short period of time and many lights pop up on the guage cluster and the gasoline engine won't kick on. First thought is that its the 12V battery so I pull it out of the car and have a family member take it to get it tested. Battery is less than 3 years old so still under manufacturer warranty. Two different auto part stores test it good. At this point put the battery back in the car and call a tow. Car has same symptoms but allows me to put it into neutral.

A day later and the shop I towed it to said the only code it had was something along the lines of failure to start. No clicking or anything like its trying to turnover. After doing some research it could be the inhibitor switch but I am unable to confirm the sumtoms of this. Shop told me that it was common for these models to have the engine randomly sieze up but I haven't found any information about this for hybrid models. I don't think it's the hybrid battery because I had electric power when pulling over. Could also be the starter or belt. Also saw something about if the car randomly lost oil pressure it would cut off but this also means it could've siezed. Let me know what you think. 2011 Optima Hybrid with ~97300mi. Regularly serviced. And I'm the second owner so not under any warranty.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts