Kia Optima Forums banner

2011 Optima Hybrid doesn't move in D or R

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Conrock 
#1 ·
I just got this car for project. It starts fine, I checked the bushing in the shifter and it's good. When place in P I can feel the mechanical disengagement. N also can be pushed. However in D and R , doesn't move and I can't even rev the engine. In P it max out at 3000 RPM, this one I'm not sure it's a limiter by design. I have a Mercedes it max out at 4500 or 5000 when idle.

I did my research, easy possible reason, transmission fluid, brake pad? More reasonable I think is this transmission solenoid, not sure if it's in this car.

Also the fuel gas door stays open due missing a latch on the car side. Anyone know the name or part number?

Also the fob which only comes with one. Looks like battery died inside I didn't charge ij the car here as I'm charging the 12v battery. Is this thing works the same way like BMW fob where the card can charge the battery inside.

#3 ·
Since the batteries was removed the 12v battery, and it's Dead ish 8v Left so I been charging it do the car computer kept resetting. But the o2 sensor code stays. I will check again today. I did some more research and I'll check the TCM fuses first, one in foot panel and one in engine bay, I read if it's the bunch of solenoids in the transmission failed would get a few P codes.

Is there some factory software like BMW inpa for Kia to see further into the obd2?

#6 ·
So looks like the 12v is not great. Not even enough to lock the door lol. I'll get one shortly in Canadian Tire. Yeah also I opened the fob and figured out it's a regular 3v battery and still at 2.97v.

What do you guys think? Want to bet on the ecm fuse or transmission solenoid? I want to do my best to pin it down.

So it doesn't rev at all in D or R so I don't know if that help to isolate the origins of the problem.

There is a check charging system warning but again I need to get a new battery first. Hybrid battery shows 4 bar. Is there a grid charger like those old civic hybrid I played with that you can put in to charge these lithium ion packs? I don't want the battery to degrade too much before I fix the car.

#7 ·
so i tested a few things today. checked fuse under steering wheel all good, also fuse in the engine bay all good. that's the ecm related fuses.

Jumped it from my bmw battery and there are only two o2 sensor codes, but there are like every other service light on, running off 12v looks like, maybe alternator is not working, only 144k already alternator dead is a bit early, service wrench symbol, and the oil light turns in after a moment, there are plenty of oil on the dipstic, EPS turns on and off. Good news looks like the hybrid system is ok. So car revs in P up to 3000rpm, but if I don't hold it and after a little time it goes to engine off mode. It idles normal in the beginning and can change gear to D and R but once there push gas does nothing.

Today I may give the transmission oil a check. That one when low it even no oil will throw no code.

I will buy a new battery for it and see if the charging system still does that. How do you check if it's alternator or not?

One question is does the car have a rev limiter in P? Also in neutral it doesn't rev at all like other gears.

This forum doesn't seem too active, maybe I should try my luck with the main kia forum since I don't think this one is specific to just this model especially the hybrid?

Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Speedometer Plant
Communication Device Finger Satellite phone Gadget Measuring instrument
Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Measuring instrument Display device

#8 ·
Get a good battery in it first, then verify the volts when running. I would take care of the obvious issue with either the charging or battery before i start messing with the transmission. With such low voltage you may not be getting enough power to the fuel injection system.

#9 ·
Yes I got a new battery and before the there was even a check brake warning and eps. Now all those are gone just the change gear and then check charging system problem. Only when in P at start it charges perfectly fine to 13.8v and once change out of gear put battery under load to 11.8.

Im going to kia this morning to talk a little. Lucky there is a dealer here. All positive feedback from people buying cars but I didn't see any repair feedbacks. There is that secret diagnostic port which I think only kia have access to.

#10 ·
just a word on the 3v battery in the remote. i went to dollar store and got 3 for 1 buck and then that fixed the remote problem. so i guess can't trust even 2.97v on these. may work for computer motherboard not this remote.

so went to local kia dealer which has a huge building with a repair shop built in, people seems nice in there and tomorrow 10am im towing the car there and let them take a look at it. i'll report findings here.

#11 ·
Ok I think I solved it. It's the thing called HPCU. The check charging system is kind of a dead giveaway. There was a few, actually a lot of people need to replace this thing. Too bad none of them saw my post. I think because my title made it sound like electrical.

I'm going to remove mine first and then see I can open it and see what's wrong inside. But chances I'll just buy a used one. This thing makes the car extremely unreliable. So there is a coolant running through this box to keep things cool. Should have placed it somewhere not in the engine bay.

Also another good reason just get a good on gas gas car. Hybrid is more for electrical hobbiest who doesn't mind fixing something like this.

#13 ·
Hey, did replacing the HPCU solve the issue?
I have the similar problem on a car i want to buy. P0A78. Ive seen so many things from increasing the Hybrid Fuse to 150A, to changing the HPCU, to the regular battery, to shift cables, etc etc..

The car starts, revs fine, when moving the transmisson to any gear, it says the HEV issue and do not drive, which i can't because the car wont actually engage either gear.

Thank you in advance!

#14 ·
did you solve the issue?
i have the exact same thing going on for months.
dealer said was HSG.
replaced it and didn’t fix anything (figured it wouldn’t)
just changed the HPCU and i’m still on the same position.
you know what’s weird? i also have the 02 sensor issue that dealer was supposed to fix under recall but they freaking ripped me off and didn’t even do it or my oil change!!

new hpcu and HSG and still my 12v won’t charge and im getting “check charging system error.
my hybrid wrench and engine light all went away when i got the new HPCU but car is still not working.
losing my mind… could it be the **** 02 sensor???

#15 · (Edited)
If your 2011 Optima Hybrid isn't moving in D or R, it's essential to address the issue promptly. While repairs can be costly, one option worth exploring is damaged car auctions in New York. A Better Bid offers a platform where you can find salvage vehicles at competitive prices. Check out this link to explore damaged car auctions in New York and potentially find a solution that fits your budget at abetter.bid. Remember to assess the condition of the vehicles carefully and consult with professionals before making any purchases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.