Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Optima Hybrid
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My '11 Optima Hybrid only has 61k miles on it, 35k of which is the last almost 6 years. I've been working from home for 5 years hence the low miles, as it only really gets driven infrequently around town or to the airport when needed. I'm now switching jobs and will be driving about 30 miles daily. My questions are around the 12v calcium battery as well as the hybrid battery. What kind of life expectancy can I expect on them? They are both original, and while the miles aren't high, the age is nearing 8 years. I'm assuming the 12v calcium battery will need replacing sooner rather than later because of that age, where-as I probably have another 5+ years on the hybrid battery which I'm guessing I won't have the car that long.

Looking for some advise on what to do about the 12v calcium battery, mainly. The multi-point inspection 1,500 miles ago came back all green, so I expect everything with it was fine, but I don't want to be stuck on the road during my commute.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,434 Posts
Batteries are batteries and their internals can go out at any given time however, with my main Kia battery it seems to last about 36 months before it goes. As for the main hybrid battery you will get plenty of indication of issues on your dash as that thing is designed for at least 10 years. Hopefully another member can chime in with further info.

·
Registered
2011 Optima Hybrid
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm presuming the good status from the last multi-point means that even at 7.5 years old, the original 12v is fine, but not sure how far I want to push it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lucky you, I only got 24 months and 4 days before my factory OE battery went out on my 2012 Optima SX.
HAH! You've all got me beat. My 2015 Hybrid I purchased in the fall of 2016 - the main car battery went out 4 mo after I purchased it. Went out and tried to turn the car on and got all sorts of clicking and warnings on the information center.

Got it jumped and took it to the dealership where they deemed the battery bad. Funny thing is, I took it to Autozone and a couple other auto parts stores first to test the battery and they thought they were going to blow up their equipment if they connected it to a "hybrid" car.:newomg:

I wasn't even asking them to test the hybrid battery, just the car battery.

·
Registered
2013 KIA Optima KOH
301 Posts
Your 12v calcium battery life span is encouraging. Mine is 5 years old but tested out all green on my last service 3 a month ago. As for the hybrid battery, you can request to have the cells tested. There are some 50 plus cells that make it up. I've had mine tested a couple of times and the numbers all look good. You're likely in good shape too given the info you provided.

Good luck.

Robert

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 optima hybrid purchased new was totaled by some idiot in April 2019. Loved my car. Anyway, I never had to replace the batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts