Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Optima 2.0 SX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a issue with my Optima.
I drive a 2011 Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo now at 82k miles.
Recently I experienced some rough idling when it got cold. And 2 days later got my check engine light and code P0302 "cylinder 2 misfire"
As a 1st step as always, I went and got 4 new spark plugs from Auto Zone (autolite xp iridium spark plug).
This has fixed the problem for a day or 2 and same business began.
Next I checked my ignition coil, and moved them all to another cylinder to see if that can be bad. However, still the same misfire of 2nd cylinder.
I tried using premium gas and used sea foam to clean the injectors. Once again temp 2 day fix and back to cylinder 2 misfire.
I really want to fix it my self cuz the mechanics in my area are scam.

You guys have any ideas/opinions?
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Is your car tuned or stock?

·
Registered
Optima 2.0 SX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct Car was leased for 3 years 30k miles. I bought it after that lease, with typical warranty.

·
Registered
Optima 2.0 SX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the small particle recall?

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

So I just called the dealer dropping her off today. Got a total of 4 recalls on it.
1: replace a new winter cover on the under body
2: seal and winterize the undercarriage of the car
3: check and inspect some filter/canister from corrosion
4: check engine for metal shaffings

So we will is may be they ran test what is causing the misfire will keep you inform.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
OP must be in Canada, ay?

·
Registered
2016 Q50 3.0TT
18 Posts
Was there any oil on the plugs that you pulled initially? My Optima never registered a misfire code, but the idle was noticeably rough at times and it was using oil like crazy before it needed the engine replaced. Is your oil level remaining steady?

·
Registered
Optima 2.0 SX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually New Jersey.
And no visible oil anywhere near the engine. Very clean actually was suprised.
1 of the plugs however was pretty burned compared to the rest.
Car is at dealers after they check recalls they will let me know if the misfire is covered under 100k powertrain and engine warranty.

·
Registered
Optima 2.0 SX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys so with an update. Dropped the car off for recall. Well the car had 4 recalls and the engine test failed.
They found metal shaffings in the engine. Kia gave me a rental and replacing entire engine. So this will fix the problem.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,880 Posts
Glad a new engine is coming your way, but surprised, if it was engine debris from manufacturing, that it lasted to 82k miles.

·
Registered
Optima 2.0 SX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i totally agree i am shocked myself that it lasted that a while. Started acting up when the weather got about 10 degrees F. Should be ready sometime this week will see how it will run. Dealer also is to fix the wastegate issue with the turbo as that was a issue since the summer too.

·
Registered
Optima 2.0 SX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I cant complain wanted to upgrade to something newer so this deff will upgrade my trade in price.

·
Registered
2011 kia optima sx
4 Posts
Ok guys so with an update. Dropped the car off for recall. Well the car had 4 recalls and the engine test failed.
They found metal shaffings in the engine. Kia gave me a rental and replacing entire engine. So this will fix the problem.
Wow so glad they made it right for you!
My check engine light keeps going on and off. When it's on and I press the gas the rpm goes up to 3 4... but the speed goes up slow. Then shoots up later. Hope that's understandable. Does that sound similar to the problem you had at all?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,880 Posts
The OP hasn't been on here for 1 1/2 years, so first, have the ecu checked for any codes, any AutoZone will do it free.
Really don't know how the mpg enters the equation, maybe you mean the speedometer?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts