Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Rev in P to 3000 rpm, I think this is by design
2. Goes to neutral and it is neutral can can be pushed around.
3. D or R, doesn't rev and move at all. Maybe transmission doesn't engage I'm not sure that's what I am here to find out
4. No transmission solenoid codes. Just two o2 sensor codes
5. Checked shifter bushing, tcm related fuses all good.
6. Car starts right away hold idle in P. Engine sound healthy.
7. After first start and when shift to D or R or N car just goes to the engine off mode.
8. Oil level is good but has red oil warning light, wrench light, p0032 and p0132, check charging system warning (I am getting a new battery today hopefully. I read has to be agm not lead acid
9. 2011 hybrid model, 145000km, I posted it in the hybrids and it's like dead there so I realized since this is engine and likely has nothing to do with the hybrid maybe here I can get more help.
10. I haven't check the transmission oil, but I highly doubt it's dry. But I do also hope this is the case then it would be easy fix. I read this will have no codes. But then if it's dry and solenoids won't operate wouldn't that throw a code?
11. The o2 codes are always there even after 12v battery removal (even after a year lol), maybe it's a new car thing but all my other car when you remove battery it reset the obd codes. Newest car I ever owned so far.

I have decent car experience as a hobbiest, dealt with most items in a car minus engine and transmission internals. Went as much as valve cover gasket and understand how to change timing belt that's about it.

The story of this car it's it just parked one day and next day can't be moved in gear. I got it for just 1000 bucks so I figure can't lose lol.

Another question is is there a kia software similar to bmw INPA which can see more than obd2 scanner? I don't even mind get shop to do a transmission swap if I can pin down the problem.

This is the first year if this model, personally I wouldn't buy any model at first year release. The guy who got the car from his friend said they took the car to kia and they said some sensor that's couple thousand. Other than the solenoid which is a decent size job I can't picture what sensor cost couple thousand. I just learnt about automatic transmission solenoid that's submerged in oil, I feel better driving my 323i 6 speed. The kia is a nice car especially inside, touch screen, back up camera, individual vent control for ac. Once fixed I'll give to wife to drive. She loves hyundai lol.

Hopefully there are some guru that can share some light.

I didn't check every single fuse in engine bay and driver seat I'll do that today. Relays I don't know how to test but I had many cars and never seen a relay fail.

Throttle cable must be good if it rev up good in P. No smoke it weird smell, oil is oil and coolant is clear no mix. I'll get the battery and see if the charging still say that then I can change the alternator that's easy. Agm batteries are so expensive. Someone said lead acid can burn this 150 bucks fuse somewhere.

Slight body work needed which I can do myself. It's nice car even doesn't feel as solid as a bmw. I swear by my 07 323i for daily driving and have a 98 Mercedes ml320 for winter.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Steering wheel Motor vehicle Steering part
Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Speedometer Plant

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
483 Posts
1. Rev in P to 3000 rpm, I think this is by design
2. Goes to neutral and it is neutral can can be pushed around.
3. D or R, doesn't rev and move at all. Maybe transmission doesn't engage I'm not sure that's what I am here to find out
4. No transmission solenoid codes. Just two o2 sensor codes
5. Checked shifter bushing, tcm related fuses all good.
6. Car starts right away hold idle in P. Engine sound healthy.
7. After first start and when shift to D or R or N car just goes to the engine off mode.
8. Oil level is good but has red oil warning light, wrench light, p0032 and p0132, check charging system warning (I am getting a new battery today hopefully. I read has to be agm not lead acid
9. 2011 hybrid model, 145000km, I posted it in the hybrids and it's like dead there so I realized since this is engine and likely has nothing to do with the hybrid maybe here I can get more help.
10. I haven't check the transmission oil, but I highly doubt it's dry. But I do also hope this is the case then it would be easy fix. I read this will have no codes. But then if it's dry and solenoids won't operate wouldn't that throw a code?
11. The o2 codes are always there even after 12v battery removal (even after a year lol), maybe it's a new car thing but all my other car when you remove battery it reset the obd codes. Newest car I ever owned so far.

I have decent car experience as a hobbiest, dealt with most items in a car minus engine and transmission internals. Went as much as valve cover gasket and understand how to change timing belt that's about it.

The story of this car it's it just parked one day and next day can't be moved in gear. I got it for just 1000 bucks so I figure can't lose lol.

Another question is is there a kia software similar to bmw INPA which can see more than obd2 scanner? I don't even mind get shop to do a transmission swap if I can pin down the problem.

This is the first year if this model, personally I wouldn't buy any model at first year release. The guy who got the car from his friend said they took the car to kia and they said some sensor that's couple thousand. Other than the solenoid which is a decent size job I can't picture what sensor cost couple thousand. I just learnt about automatic transmission solenoid that's submerged in oil, I feel better driving my 323i 6 speed. The kia is a nice car especially inside, touch screen, back up camera, individual vent control for ac. Once fixed I'll give to wife to drive. She loves hyundai lol.

Hopefully there are some guru that can share some light.

I didn't check every single fuse in engine bay and driver seat I'll do that today. Relays I don't know how to test but I had many cars and never seen a relay fail.

Throttle cable must be good if it rev up good in P. No smoke it weird smell, oil is oil and coolant is clear no mix. I'll get the battery and see if the charging still say that then I can change the alternator that's easy. Agm batteries are so expensive. Someone said lead acid can burn this 150 bucks fuse somewhere.

Slight body work needed which I can do myself. It's nice car even doesn't feel as solid as a bmw. I swear by my 07 323i for daily driving and have a 98 Mercedes ml320 for winter.
View attachment 251795 View attachment 251796 View attachment 251797
In your other post you first off mentioned that you just got this vehicle. Why are you assuming there is transmission oil in the trans rather than actually checking it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a new battery 12v and started the car. In P, the alternator works and making battery around 14v. However when change to any other gear car says check charging system and when measure the 12v is now 11.6v.

In reverse the car speaker makes a high frequency constant sound.

So once the check charging warning turns on then even shift back to P will not make a difference u less turn car off and turn car back on.

The fob doesn't work either have to be put in the glove box to make it work. That one is not an issue once I can get the car running I'll get a third party one and get kia to program it. Cheaper that way.

Hopefully this weekend get to check the transmission oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are you going to get a third-party key fob? Why don't you replace the dead battery in your existing fob?
It's funny everyone always assume it's the battery first. I tried 2 cr2032 both 2.95 and 2.98v one is original. Both doesn't do anything. I opened the fob and examined the smd components and looks fine. The small led when pushing buttons doesn't light up. I think it supposed to light up. Pretty sure 2.95 is still good enough for the chip to work.

I had a civic hybrid and one of the original fob buttons doesn't work. Even put in oven like baking graphics card no go with that one. Not gonna bake the kia since still works to start the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I let car start and without changing gear leave it on p, and after a few minutes or less it went to the ego mode and shut off engine. I then go measure the 12v it's still 13.8v. So it is charging it with the hybrid battery. Also no wrench symbol and battery symbol. Of course I til change to any other gear it stops charging.

Once put in D it actually rev a little bit only goes to like 1500 to 2000 rpm.

Same two code comes back within seconds of resetting from obd2.

Is there a way to see what the wrench is referring to or only kia can do it? I guess the software hasn't been leaked like bmw?

Speedometer Car Tachometer Trip computer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I had some time to take a look at engine bay and underneath closer. Looks like the car hit something hard on the bottom. Big arch dent on the radiator, the hit is strong enough to shear one ac pipe off at the metal connector, what's more important is next to the oil filter there are two large nipples without hose connected to them. I looked at oil change video on youtube there are definitely something connected there. Tomorrow I'll remove the bottom cover and find those 2 pipes. The transmission looks good. Im not totally sure I think the big box on the driver side is the transmission. There is a drain plug underneath. Also there is one harness with a black and white white got completely broken, I wired it and soldered and then electrical taped it. Was thinking that maybe the case p0032 and p0132. But still the same. Now at P start there if no other codes.

2nd image shows the broken harness wire. Not sure what it is, 2nd last photo is ac pipe broken and last photo shows the two disconnected nipples.

Can someone tell me what the wire is and the two hose that's behind the oil filter. I think I'm onto something here.
Speedometer Car Tachometer Trip computer Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

Plant Infrastructure Mode of transport Sky Building

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Fluid Gas Hood Auto part Pipe

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Wood

White Automotive tire Wood Tints and shades Close-up

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
483 Posts
Ok so I had some time to take a look at engine bay and underneath closer. Looks like the car hit something hard on the bottom. Big arch dent on the radiator, the hit is strong enough to shear one ac pipe off at the metal connector, what's more important is next to the oil filter there are two large nipples without hose connected to them. I looked at oil change video on youtube there are definitely something connected there. Tomorrow I'll remove the bottom cover and find those 2 pipes. The transmission looks good. Im not totally sure I think the big box on the driver side is the transmission. There is a drain plug underneath. Also there is one harness with a black and white white got completely broken, I wired it and soldered and then electrical taped it. Was thinking that maybe the case p0032 and p0132. But still the same. Now at P start there if no other codes.

2nd image shows the broken harness wire. Not sure what it is, 2nd last photo is ac pipe broken and last photo shows the two disconnected nipples.

Can someone tell me what the wire is and the two hose that's behind the oil filter. I think I'm onto something here.
View attachment 251804
View attachment 251805
View attachment 251809
View attachment 251808
View attachment 251806
View attachment 251803
View attachment 251807
View attachment 251802
View attachment 251801
I think your oil cooler hoses are missing. Can't really tell though. Did you check trans oil level? there is a side plug front towards radiator that you can probably unscrew with your fingers and stick your finger inside and down to see if there is oil in it. the fill is on top and you need a long funnel with a small diameter to stick in the hole to fill but fill extremely slow with side plug off until it starts to come out there. check your coolant level also. might be losing it because of those missing oil cooler hoses if that's what they are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think your oil cooler hoses are missing. Can't really tell though. Did you check trans oil level? there is a side plug front towards radiator that you can probably unscrew with your fingers and stick your finger inside and down to see if there is oil in it. the fill is on top and you need a long funnel with a small diameter to stick in the hole to fill but fill extremely slow with side plug off until it starts to come out there. check your coolant level also. might be losing it because of those missing oil cooler hoses if that's what they are.
You are exactly right, I did a lot of research and those are indeed oil cooler hoses. I wonder if it's disconnected from the bump or for hybrid model it doesn't need it? Hard to picture how rubber that size can get disconnected. The ac pipe is a stiff pipe and makes sense that gets sheared off.
Coolant reservoir have clear coolant but not at max. It doesn't leak anything from the 2 connector there, or yet.

I have a 4 year old and 2 months old boys and not easy to step out and work on the car without wife getting mad lol. Today we have babysitter a few hours in morning but wife wants to go pick up some yarn she won on local Facebook market auction. Then breakfast... But yeah I should be able to remove the cover at the oil filter and see I can find the rubber hoses nearby. They can't completely fall off both side lol. If the hose are not there maybe it's not needed for the hybrid? I'll find out

The dent in the radiator would it mess with cooling you think? I probably replace it later if I can get the car moving.

Slightly disappointed finding out those are oil cooler hose. Was thinking something transmission fluid related.

The bottom engine mount as you can see rubbed off from circular to flat. I think that absorbed most of the damage. I was thinking maybe it moved the engine and broke the drive shaft. Probably ok that. It's funny you see in movies car takes strong hit on the bottom and still runs and in real life whatever happened to this car prevent transmission from engaging.

The guy I got it from is very shady and I know the car is not as simple as the shifter bushing. Also no way the story is true that it just parked one day and next day can't move. Unless the same day they hit the object and then parked it also no way they took it to kia and they can't spot something these simple.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
483 Posts
You are exactly right, I did a lot of research and those are indeed oil cooler hoses. I wonder if it's disconnected from the bump or for hybrid model it doesn't need it? Hard to picture how rubber that size can get disconnected. The ac pipe is a stiff pipe and makes sense that gets sheared off.
Coolant reservoir have clear coolant but not at max. It doesn't leak anything from the 2 connector there, or yet.

I have a 4 year old and 2 months old boys and not easy to step out and work on the car without wife getting mad lol. Today we have babysitter a few hours in morning but wife wants to go pick up some yarn she won on local Facebook market auction. Then breakfast... But yeah I should be able to remove the cover at the oil filter and see I can find the rubber hoses nearby. They can't completely fall off both side lol. If the hose are not there maybe it's not needed for the hybrid? I'll find out

The dent in the radiator would it mess with cooling you think? I probably replace it later if I can get the car moving.

Slightly disappointed finding out those are oil cooler hose. Was thinking something transmission fluid related.

The bottom engine mount as you can see rubbed off from circular to flat. I think that absorbed most of the damage. I was thinking maybe it moved the engine and broke the drive shaft. Probably ok that. It's funny you see in movies car takes strong hit on the bottom and still runs and in real life whatever happened to this car prevent transmission from engaging.

The guy I got it from is very shady and I know the car is not as simple as the shifter bushing. Also no way the story is true that it just parked one day and next day can't move. Unless the same day they hit the object and then parked it also no way they took it to kia and they can't spot something these simple.
I mean if the radiator doesn't leak, you should be good for now until you replace it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts