Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Optima 2011 Optima EX Non Turbo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Optima EX just started this today: fuel light is on, says it had 40 miles to empty. So I stopped to put fuel in ( my daughters car so I was sure it was empty ), it held 2.1 gallons and was full of fuel for 100% sure. Got back in, started the car and it’s just over 1/2 tank with 240 miles to empty. Anyone experience this issue? Things to check?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
148 Posts
2011 Optima EX just started this today: fuel light is on, says it had 40 miles to empty. So I stopped to put fuel in ( my daughters car so I was sure it was empty ), it held 2.1 gallons and was full of fuel for 100% sure. Got back in, started the car and it’s just over 1/2 tank with 240 miles to empty. Anyone experience this issue? Things to check?
Could be the fuel gauge sending unit. It’s attached to the fuel pump in the tank. You might want to try some marvel mystery oil or Lucas oil. Sometimes contacts can get corroded. If those don’t work then you probably have to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the response. I was actually going to pull the access plate off this week and inspect the contacts and pull it all if needed to take an Ohm reading while actuating they sending unit arm.

thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2014 KIa Optima Hybrid
4 Posts
I am new to the Kia Optima game, but if the fuel sending units I am seeing online are the correct part for our vehicles, then I believe this issue can possibly be fixed or avoided. My understanding is the contact points on the fuel sending unit get corroded, as indicated above. A fix I have used in the past is to run Chevron Techron Concentrate PLUS through the tank once or twice a year. I started using this product after I began having the same issue with my fuel gauge on my truck. This fixed the problem and the problem has not come back. If the problem is really bad, this may not be enough to fix it, but I believe it is a good preventative measure.

Check out the video for an explanation. I know, it's a Ford video, but that is where I have experience.

If anyone tries this, reply and let us know if this helped. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, Im just going to put this out there and say that YES, I am an idiot.

So it's my daughters car, and I've been thinking that she has been putting fuel in this car for years, so obviously she knows how and it was indeed full everytime she said it was. I also put fuel in it and considered it was full but the guage showed half a tank. This indeed isn't the issue, the sending unit is working fine, I used a meter and ohmed it out and even was able to take the car to a different station and fill it all the way up and the gauge worked fine and showed full.

Fast forward a few tanks and I get a call that the car will not fill up again, so now that I know the sending unit is working, and that in fact when you try to fill it, it fills up the neck of the tank and makes the pump shut off, thus not allowing any more fuel to enter the tank, leading me to believe i have a valve problem such as a fuel tank vent valve type of thing or Vapor Canister that could cause this? Does anyone have any knowledge of this system or a valid diagram? 2011 Optima EX Korean Made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s been a while, been busy with work but I have apparently fixed the car. Charcoal/Vapor canister. I replaced it and no more issues, and another sign that it was junk is that when I took it out I was able to pour gas out of the charcoal canister. I appreciate everyone’s input and hopefully this helps someone else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was the Charcoal/Vapor canister. Replaced it and BOOM! No more issues almost 6 weeks After the repair.

I appreciate everyone’s help.
I am having the same issue. I replaced the canister close valve but it did not fix it. I took the canister off that the close valve mounts to and it has a paper filter inside that I can see and the air passes through it fine. Is the charcoal vapor canister you are referring to mounted underneath about center of the car? any info would be great! Oh and also did you order the part from the dealer? If so how much was it? Smitty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts