Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
85 Posts
Has anyone swapped out their HID bulbs on a 2015? I read a DIY on a 2014 where you had to remove the bumper, grill and headlights? That is a big project just for a bulb swap. Is it the same process for 2015's? Before I buy I want to see what I'm getting into.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2020 Audi R8 V10+ & Tesla Model X P100D
28,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Has anyone swapped out their HID bulbs on a 2015? I read a DIY on a 2014 where you had to remove the bumper, grill and headlights? That is a big project just for a bulb swap. Is it the same process for 2015's? Before I buy I want to see what I'm getting into.
Many of our customers have. Yes that is correct, as far as I know you do need to remove the bumper to replace the lowbeams. Let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima Optima
1,355 Posts
Fast shipping especially with Christmas around the corner, as always David is the man,!!! just waiting for the KDM spec dual projectors to arrive and it'll be put into those and I'll post a pic as soon as I get them off the hands of the delivery guy lol! Awesome store K5OS, highly recommend!!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
They are plug and play, but it is cramped spaces and you are messing with a $100 fragile bulb. Twice. There is at least one DIY on them, but in short:

1. Remove the battery
2. Remove the coolant water tank (not the hoses, you are just getting it out of the way)
3. There is a screw holding in the dust cap - be sure to remove that and don't lose it. ;)
4. Re-use the little wire spring/ring from the original (it will make sense after you take it out)
5. Plug in the wire after inserting the lamp in the housing.
6. The wire retention clip can be a royal pita. Be patient. lol

You don't have to remove the battery or tank, but you better have extremely small and flexible hands. It really isn't hard overall but it is probably the most difficult light bulb I've ever changed.

-stoli-
Hey Stoli, what is that wire spring ring thing for anyway? Never did figure it out so I left it off my new CBI hids. Do I NEED to reinstall them? And if I do, where on the HID bulb does it go exactly? When I finally got the stock bulbs out, they were just hanging on the end of the bulbs so not sure where they go lol.

·
04/2014 ROTM
2011 SX
3,607 Posts
Hey Stoli, what is that wire spring ring thing for anyway? Never did figure it out so I left it off my new CBI hids. Do I NEED to reinstall them? And if I do, where on the HID bulb does it go exactly? When I finally got the stock bulbs out, they were just hanging on the end of the bulbs so not sure where they go lol.
Pretty sure it acts as a bit of a 'shock absorber' between the projector and the bulb itself to prevent vibrations from the car into the bulb/starter. It goes around the base (round black plastic) and the starter.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Pretty sure it acts as a bit of a 'shock absorber' between the projector and the bulb itself to prevent vibrations from the car into the bulb/starter. It goes around the base (round black plastic) and the starter.
Thanks to Xterra and Stoli for bringing this up as I didn't even know that we can take it off and put it on the new bulbs lol. I will try to swap it when I get a chance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Fast shipping especially with Christmas around the corner, as always David is the man,!!! just waiting for the KDM spec dual projectors to arrive and it'll be put into those and I'll post a pic as soon as I get them off the hands of the delivery guy lol! Awesome store K5OS, highly recommend!!!!
Thank you sir for ordering through us. Happy you got them so quickly.

Thanks to Xterra and Stoli for bringing this up as I didn't even know that we can take it off and put it on the new bulbs lol. I will try to swap it when I get a chance.
Honestly I don't think anyone really re-installs that piece. Good to know though John in case it comes up, I was not aware of it myself.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ok got the spring thing back in and did notice that with it in the bulbs do not wiggle in the sockets. There's tension enough that it holds the bulb steady, and it is a bit harder to push the retaining clip into its holder. Bad thing is I lost a philips bit in my engine compartment lol. Tried tapping on the under panels to see if I could hear it bouncing but no luck.

·
Registered
625 Posts
OSRAM CBI

Phillips Ultinon 6k - these showed a pink tint in the lens. Had me worried I'd be pulled over and ticketed.

Side by side

I like the color of the CBIs better.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Ok got the spring thing back in and did notice that with it in the bulbs do not wiggle in the sockets. There's tension enough that it holds the bulb steady, and it is a bit harder to push the retaining clip into its holder. Bad thing is I lost a philips bit in my engine compartment lol. Tried tapping on the under panels to see if I could hear it bouncing but no luck.
Glad to hear confirmation on that one. Oh noooo, sorry to hear you lost one of the bits in the process, were you able to recover it?

Awesome products plug n play fastest shipping
Osram D1S HID - Album on Imgur
Well thank you sir, happy to hear you are enjoying them. In a month or two once they have burned in, post up a pic! :)

OSRAM CBI

Phillips Ultinon 6k - these showed a pink tint in the lens. Had me worried I'd be pulled over and ticketed.

Side by side

I like the color of the CBIs better.
Thanks for posting Gary! Noticeable difference with the OSRAMs installed. Just keep in mind that the OSRAM CBI bulbs have a 80-100 hour burn in time before the actual true color is shown. So they will become a bit whiter over time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima Optima
1,355 Posts
Bad photography - but here is the lights broken in with 248 hours on it with KDM projectors . Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
That's the color I was hoping for. Can't wait till they're broken in.
Wait this confuses me.... LOL

Blinky are you saying you already put 248 hours on the new bulbs and lights you bought from us??
Yes sir lol, I work every single day and I have my lights on Day or Night to burn them in faster, also I've made a few trips down to New Jersey and Back and to New York and have put more then 15k miles on the car just the past December into January lol. Crazy yes I know :( bad for my mileage

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yes sir lol, I work every single day and I have my lights on Day or Night to burn them in faster, also I've made a few trips down to New Jersey and Back and to New York and have put more then 15k miles on the car just the past December into January lol. Crazy yes I know :( bad for my mileage
Wow you are not joking, that's crazy but I believe it. Tons of miles!!!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts