Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could any please help me with a problem. I'm trying to remove the balancer / oil pump under the oil pan and have no idea the best way to do it. There doesn't seen to be enough room to slip the chain over the sprocket even when the tensioner is pressed. Does anyone have a diagram they could send me or even instructions on how to remove the balancer. Any help would be appreciated. Plus how do you line up the timing marks on the balancer can you mark the chain and sprocket with a paint pen
Again any help I would greatly appreciate
Thanks Don

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,591 Posts
Best bet is to get a Chilton manual, but the balancer can be removed as is, naturally after removing the belt. I did it to replace the front seal on the '08 2.4 and after removing the bolt, the pulley came right off.
This might help, it's for the 3G, but probably very similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My balancer is chain driver. What's the best way to remove and retime the balancer. I'm removing oil pan to do this. Plus my car has a timing chain not belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best bet is to get a Chilton manual, but the balancer can be removed as is, naturally after removing the belt. I did it to replace the front seal on the '08 2.4 and after removing the bolt, the pulley came right off.
This might help, it's for the 3G, but probably very similar.
Also my car is 2007 lx 2.4

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,591 Posts
Sorry, thought you were speaking of the harmonic balancer, but if you're speaking of the balance shaft, from what I see, compress tensioner and install a pin to hold it in that position, then remove tensioner, chain tensioner arm, and the chain guide, then chain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you happen to have a diagram of how to remove the balance shaft that you could send me thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts