Kia Optima Forums banner

201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Any suggestions on where I can purchase a fully equipped supercharger kit? That's compatible with my 2018 2.4L Optima Lx
Look man, it's not going to be in a kit... Whatever you go with is going to have to be custom built.

Here's a popular brand of supercharger's site to get you started: ProCharger Self-contained Superchargers and Intercooled Supercharging Systems

Whatever option you choose, packaging's going to be an issue...

If it were me, I'd go with a turbo from off a 2.0L THETA II Engine (The Optima SXL Engine), and just use a custom manifold, coupled to the intercooler kit for the 2.0.

Or, there's wet or dry nitrous, for a boost of power, or water methanol, or all of the above...

The point is, you can cram stupid power into any engine/vehicle with enough time and money.

But just because you can do something, is not always indicative of whether or not you should...

It would be amazing to see a boosted 2.4. If there was a kit, I'd probably want one myself. But there isn't, and whomever develops it is going to shell out a Lot in money, time, and replacement parts for what they'll (inevitably) destroy in testing to get it right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To all those who seem to enjoy telling people its a waste of time to bother trying or "should have gotten an SX instead check out the TorqAmp electric turbo which is made in the Netherlands. I have been watching this project since their failed Kickstarter campaign some time ago. I will post links to videos testing the system for the skeptics, which I was once one of, in the forums. No, this is not the same as the fake electric eBay "turbo's" that do not work. This is an actual bolt on turbo complete with Dyno data and confirmation videos available to watch. The TorqAmp was designed to be most effective for 1.6L to 3.0L engines but will boost any internal combustion engine (including engines that are already turbocharged) and while its not cheap it is an actual option for our 2.4L Optima's. The biggest benefit is that installation is actually pretty straight forward and if a bypass valve is used to remove air restriction when the unit is not powered there would be very little, if any loss of power when driving without it being engaged.

The TorqAmp is not a "true" turbocharger, I would say it functions more like a repeatable, controlled shot of Nitrous. The TorqAmp FAQ page provides answers to some of the questions many will have. I have not done this yet as I am currently considering the purchase of a new K5 as my 2014 Optima Ex lacks more and more features that I want.

Here's a video from the creator explaining the kit and how it works. The maker has other videos on their Youtube channel.

As promised, the video evidence:
For those who just want to see the independent test from a skeptic please check out one of Cleetus McFarland's video's on the TorqAmp. This all began as a joke video series where they tested a cheap, fake eBay turbo to make fun of those who bought them claiming they worked. After the video the TorqAmp people reached out and sent them their product.

This video is of Cleetus McFarland making fun of the fake eBay turbos that do not work.

I hope some of you find this at least interesting and that others cheer up about owning a 2.4L, there are options out there. It's not cheap, but is less expensive than custom fabbing a traditional turbo on your car. At this time it costs about $3k US and then you'll need to install it yourself but thankfully it is pretty straightforward. No, I'm not an investor, no I don't work for the company. I'm just a dude with a 2.4L Optima.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,070 Posts
But just for perspective, that $3K is approaching nearly half the value of a used 2011 or 2012 SX. If you sell your car with the 2.4L, then you might be able to purchase the SX by spending less than the cost of the hardware upgrade.

Just saying, it's best to do the math and see where you'll be financially with each option. Those dollar amounts can help to make a fair apples-to-apples comparison.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My response is going to be partial emotional rant and partial logic. Your response is level headed and respectful and I don't know if you are one of the people who constantly responds with "should have gotten an SX" or not so I don't know if you are even deserving of this rant portion of my response. I would have preferred they you were one of the many dismissive responders littered throughout these threads, my luck, I get a polite one so I come across as the *******. Oh well, I have no desire or intention of pouring over the threads to find out so I'll just say if you're not one of those people I apologize in advance... But here goes...

Honestly, It's time to knock off the "should have gotten/should just get an SX" BS, please. It's all over these threads that I've been reading for ages which is one of the reasonsI resisted signing up for these forums. There are always people who like to push their opinions as though they are the only set of facts that exist when it's simply not true. As I said, I haven't gone through to see if you are one of the people who have been making the argument you made over and over again or not so I don't know if you're getting the brunt of my annoyance with this response for no reason but if you are one of these people please knock it off already. Why? Because some people didn't want an SX, I know I don't.

Some don't like smaller displacement engines, some people don't want the stiffer ride of a sport tuned suspension, some people were given other family members cars, some have other reasons. Some are like me and think with their wallet. I personally didn't really care for any version of the Optima all that much in general. The Optima in all its variations did little for me until it's most recent redesign and even then...It's just a car that gets me from A to B and when I'm done using it for that purpose I will get another vehicle perhaps an Optima, perhaps not.

I got the EX because I got a great deal on it as a used car, I got my 2014 Optima for six grand in 2018 with 62k miles when it was still worth 14k. I've done the math, I don't want a 2011 or 2012 SX, that would be a stupid purchase decision for me to make as I would lose the equity value I have in my car.

Also, if I or anyone else purchases something like the TorqAmp since it's an easy install they can just remove it at the time it's put up for sale or traded in and put it right into the next internal combustion engine vehicle they own and boost that. Unlike a traditional turbo where it goes with the car this doesn't have to, this can go straight into your next car and then they can just sell the Optima as stock since it makes no permanent modification to the vehicle.

That officially makes the Torqamp more of an investment than an expense doesn't it? To me $3,000 for a performance upgrade that can be used in multiple vehicles (including the ability to be used on an already turbocharged vehicle) sounds like a bargain. That means your turbocharged SX can also benefit and get additional performance by installing something like the torqamp inside it and eliminating all turbo lag.

But back to the "should have bought an SX thing." People's need to start giving others the benefit of a doubt that they actually knew what they were doing when they bought the car they bought. There are reasons not to have purchased the SX just like the are reasons to have gone with it. Some of them I listed without even thinking that hard about it, another could be lower insurance costs if you happen to have someone who has a spotty driving record and likes to lay on the gas pedal a little bit. A turbocharged, sport model will cost you more in insurance premiums.

Comments like "should have gotten an SX" or "should have/should just have traded in for an SX" are not always helpful and don't always serve to help everyone who comments in the 2.4L threads so people really need to stop with that, it's unbelievably annoying. If you and other SX owners are thrilled with their SX great! If you don't like the idea of non SX owners wanting to get a bit more performance then stay in the SX portion of the forum and don't respond to someone who has a 2.4L engine when you don't. I really don't understand the purpose of bothering people with nonsense that doesn't apply to them or trying to push the narrative that they somehow have made the wrong purchasing decision. They likely haven't, most people purchase what they are able to out have to purchase at the time. It's that simple. End of Rant 😆

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,070 Posts
You are right, there are also lots of downsides to getting an old SX - that's exactly why their value has plummeted so much!

Good to hear that this product can be re-used, I like tech like that. Also, if this is really new tech, there is a chance that the cost will come down when they go into mass production.

I like to tinker with and customize my vehicles, to make them my own, so there is a personal attachment that has a good value to me personally in doing things like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are right, there are also lots of downsides to getting an old SX - that's exactly why their value has plummeted so much!

Good to hear that this product can be re-used, I like tech like that. Also, if this is really new tech, there is a chance that the cost will come down when they go into mass production.

I like to tinker with and customize my vehicles, to make them my own, so there is a personal attachment that has a good value to me personally in doing things like this.
Thank you and sorry again for wrapping your comment into my rant, you seem pretty level headed and open to the idea that options are a good thing for us all. ☮

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone - I am a nearly 100% layperson when it comes to all things car so bear with me here. I signed up to the forums because I'm exploring ways to make my 2013 Optima a bit faster (in terms of acceleration).

I have the base model 2013 Optima. The Torqamp sounds intriguing; for approximately 2.7k I could essentially put an easily-removable electric supercharger on my car which would give me a fairly substantial boost in acceleration? And when it's not being used, it has virtually no effect on fuel consumption?

Are there any potential downsides to this other than the price point? Could installing this screw up my engine or decrease life of components in any way?

Further, what would it take for someone like me, who doesn't have much pre-existing knowledge, to successfully install something like this? Can me and my buddy (who has mechanical knowledge and works on cars frequently) likely install this without much fuss? This is the same guy who replaced the head gasket on my 2005 Honda Civic...

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
103 Posts
You shouldn't have problems installing it. But all, ALL modifications do have the possibility of lowering the life expectations of an engine.

201 - 210 of 210 Posts