Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update: They did a top end "cleaning" which icluded a fuel injector clean. They said they put a borescope down there and there are no issues with carbon, etc. As of yet, I have not had the ping return. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. They also indicated that compression, etc. is all spot on.

·
Registered
2012 K5
2,301 Posts
Thats good! To avoid carbon deposit in your motor, avoid cheap unknown gas stations and do WOTs from time to time. And run fuel injector cleaners in your gas tank and through the vacuum hose.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thats good! To avoid carbon deposit in your motor, avoid cheap unknown gas stations and do WOTs from time to time. And run fuel injector cleaners in your gas tank and through the vacuum hose.
That's the thing, I have been running top tier along with Techron. And I do open her up once and awhile.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
^Maybe the previous owner did not? I think I read in the thread that you bought the car used... Carbon could have built up over the previous owner's stint with the car.

·
Chatterbox
2015 Optima 2015 Optima Ex-L
495 Posts
There's pinging then there's the typical GDI lifter noise. I also have the 15 2.4l and hear it under idle and low starting speeds. I chalk it up to GDI. after 4000 miles it seems to premature to be normal pinging issues other then crap fuel. Change to a top tier fuel and check again next fill up.

·
Registered
2014 OPTIMA
119 Posts
I just started having this same issue, and im around 4k miles on my 14'. Thought it was something hitting around the wheels so i stopped one day and everything looked fine. But everytime i tap the accelerator and let go i hear the "ping" noise... Really annoying

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,467 Posts
I'd strongly suggest you start using a good fuel system cleaner, I really like Redline's SI-1 (found at O'Reilly's Auto Parts for me) right before every other oil/filter change. I also try to stick to Top Tier fuel providers like Shell, Exxon, etc. and use either their 91 or 93 blend (93 blend has even more cleaners in it).

Doing both is just good maintenance practice IMHO and will yield the best fuel economy along with performance.

BTW: Kia themselves recommend (via a TSB) to use the Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus fuel system cleaner (I've found the 20oz bottle at Walmart at the best price) every 3K to 5K miles. That good stuff as well but I seem to get better results with the Redline product.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I agree that redine Si-1 is a good product and from my investigation has more PEA (polyether amine) (the good stuff) than a 20 oz bottle of Techron, but disagree that 89 or 93 octane "cleans better" than 87 octane. I have almost 45k on my turbo and have never used anything other than 87 octane. Never a ping or lack of power. Higher octane is just a pacifier IMO.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've always used 93 Octane either from Shell V-power or BP. Also use synthetic oil with the OEM filter. Pinging in most cases is due to poor gasoline. My Fiance was a technician for Acura. All the newer MDX's and TL's at the time suffered from Pinging issues. They told customers to use the highest possible octane available, and it being a top tier gasoline station. I've bought my car with about 5,000 miles. Since then I used nothing but 93. I haven't used any fuel system additives as of yet, but I never ran into a pinging issue either.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,467 Posts
I agree that redine Si-1 is a good product and from my investigation has more PEA (polyether amine) (the good stuff) than a 20 oz bottle of Techron, but disagree that 89 or 93 octane "cleans better" than 87 octane. I have almost 45k on my turbo and have never used anything other than 87 octane. Never a ping or lack of power. Higher octane is just a pacifier IMO.
FWIW: It's not the octane level but the amount of extra cleaning additives that may be added. For example, while all Shell gasoline blends have cleaners in them (and meet the Top Tier specs) Shell's Premium 93 (V-Power) has an extra added dose (check their website). That's why I more often run it than not.

What I would REALLY like is for Shell stations to also offer 100% gas at least in 89 or higher grades.
Not a fan of E10 gas at all!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ahhh. Real gas.... Doubt that we'll ever see that again. The only place I know of around here to get it is in a Marina. Not convenient or affordable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to note that the person with ping isn't crazy. I have it also. Regular oil changes also. It sounds like and old car crappy fuel ping. Ive increased octane, doesnt matter. It is a light sound as it cannot be heard with even low volume radio. It also is on a little heavier acceleration. Like maneuvering into traffc. Or over 2700 rpms

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to note that the person with ping isn't crazy. I have it also. Regular oil changes also. It sounds like and old car crappy fuel ping. Ive increased octane, doesnt matter. It is a light sound as it cannot be heard with even low volume radio. It also is on a little heavier acceleration. Like maneuvering into traffc. Or over 2700 rpms
I too am experiencing the pinging in 2019 Optima S with 6600 miles. Started at around 1500 miles. Its definitely knock. Have a Scion Xb that had the 2.4 that had the bad piston rings from Toyota, took 5nyears to get the warranty claim but got the rings and ipper block rebuilt. Prior to the rebuild I had the same ping noise from that vehicle. After the rebuild no more ping.
I had the oil changed today at the dealer and they did the KSDS ECU software installation ,(knock sensor detection system). Will see what happens and if it works... not looking forward to limp mode and possible death if it does work though ?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,124 Posts
I too am experiencing the pinging in 2019 Optima S with 6600 miles. Started at around 1500 miles. Its definitely knock. Have a Scion Xb that had the 2.4 that had the bad piston rings from Toyota, took 5nyears to get the warranty claim but got the rings and ipper block rebuilt. Prior to the rebuild I had the same ping noise from that vehicle. After the rebuild no more ping.
I had the oil changed today at the dealer and they did the KSDS ECU software installation ,(knock sensor detection system). Will see what happens and if it works... not looking forward to limp mode and possible death if it does work though ?
I don't mean to nitpick, but which is it--ping or knock, as they are not one and the same?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wasn't very clear in my original post.

Experiencing pinging for sure. I associated it with knock (wrongfully so?) Due to the issues I had on the scion. The techs I spoke with advised that ultimately they were one and the same caused by early detonation. In the scion's case the cause was blow by from bad rings which caused both pinging and had some definite knock noise. Because of that situation I'm likely confused on terms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
might sound stupid... but are you using an oem oil filter??? I have read a lot of different things and everyone has different experiences... if your not using an oem filter switch it and top off and see if the "pinging" goes away.
I have used the OEM filter and doesn't change a thing. Still have pinging under acceleration.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts