Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have isses where you have a slight "ping" under acceleration/load? My 2.4 has been doing this since day one (which was 32K miles for me). I've complained to the dealer, but they are indicating that this is normal and I know that pinging is not normal. With modern engines and knock sensors, pinging should only occur when there is an issue. I've ran three bottles of Techron (as per the dealer) and only use top tier fuel (87 octane, Shell & Mobil). Any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No this is not the normal sound at idle. It is a definate ping (sometime pretty loud) when accelerating or under load. Techs confirmed this.

·
Registered
2012 K5
2,301 Posts
Have you tried using higher octane? Try premium gas and see if it affects anything. I know our motors are designed to run on 87 but it wouldnt hurt to try.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima SX
1,356 Posts
I've had no problems. Can you get a recording? Have you checked the plugs?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried recordings, but hard to hear on video. I doubt plugs would make a difference, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
699 Posts
No ping EVER on my 2.0 with 87 octane its whole life.. I know your question was on the 2.4. Don't know what the previous owner could have done or not done to cause your ping. Good luck finding the cause.

·
Being awesome every day!
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
3,193 Posts
Bad knock sensor?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it is, let's say a bad knock sensor, could there be any internal damage having it been pinging for 4k miles? Isn't pinging the valves hiring the cylinder walls?

·
Registered
82 Posts
might sound stupid... but are you using an oem oil filter??? I have read a lot of different things and everyone has different experiences... if your not using an oem filter switch it and top off and see if the "pinging" goes away.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You need to check the air/fuel ratio or have someone do it for you. That is usually the main cause of pinging or knocking. Also you may have excessive carbon build up in the cylinder, I'd recommend the seafoam trick to remove that.

·
Being awesome every day!
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
3,193 Posts
If it is, let's say a bad knock sensor, could there be any internal damage having it been pinging for 4k miles? Isn't pinging the valves hiring the cylinder walls?
Wait what? No its not valves hitting anything. They better not! Lol. Knocking is when the combustion process no longer happens at the right moment. It creates a shockwave that causes the ping. Now predetination is often confused for the knock process because it also causes the ping sound, but engine knock and predetination are tow seperate things.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you can get a bluetooth elm adaptor and the torque app for your phone, then check for knock as you drive. Dealer can't say knock is normal if detected, it can burn holes in your pistons etc. Carbon build up will cause knock also, I have had cars I had to seafoam yearly to stop knock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any ideas?
I Googled ping, knock and detonation. The most common reasons are:
- a stuck or closed EGR valve.
- an overheated engine.
- too much or advanced engine timing.
- a faulty knock sensor.
- carbon buildup in the cylinder.

I remember performing an easy test on my old Mazda 626 turbo where you could check the knock sensor by tapping the valve cover with a metal wrench to fool the knock sensor into thinking that knock was occurring. A properly operating knock sensor would immediately retard the timing and noticeably slow down the engine rpm during idle.

I'll admit I've never tried this on my 2.0T yet, but it might be worth trying it out to eliminate the sensor if it works properly for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
knock is very bad, spend a few bucks and get a elm Bluetooth, is worth it. if you drive slow a lot, carbon can build up, my Camaro has that issue, I just seafoam it once a year and use premium( my Camaro carbon build up isn't from slow driving though, just the type of pistons, tend to do that. Without checking for actual knock it is hard to tell, could be anything making it rattle, wrong oil filter, maybe wrong oil, really cheap gas, bad sensor etc.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've done two oil changes since I purchased it, both done by local Kia dealer. Knocking is still present after oil change.

I've opened a case with Kia as I'm not buying the whole "it's normal" bs.

·
Being awesome every day!
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
3,193 Posts
I've done two oil changes since I purchased it, both done by local Kia dealer. Knocking is still present after oil change.

Man without being there and hearing it, its hard for us to help. Good luck man.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Just saying... did they use kia filters.???? There are dealers out there that dont even with the tsb out there... factory filter is blueish... hope you figure this out soon

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure what filters were used, but being that it is a KIA dealership, I would assume OEM. The car is at dealer now with KIA relations involved.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts