Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In anticipation of an OCC this Forum has convinced me to get the first answer from the dealer tech (I actually like) about Intake Cleaning was a $120 ( Spray ) job that - I Doubt - is the solution because of 37K miles, not 10K.
I really am an Easy 2.0T Driver IF that matters, SO What's the Intake Cleaning path you'd recommend B4 getting an OCC -- AND -- a Fair Price to look for?
Thanks as always!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,107 Posts
You're a handy guy so just get a can of CRC Intake Cleaner and do the job yourself. Might need another to feather the throttle, but doesn't take long to inject into the intake, let it sit for a while, then drive. You can inject through the PCV valve hose, but just get a cloth to block the open end off then insert the "straw" into the hose making certain the cloth is tight. Don't use a paper towel as pieces could flake off and get sucked into the intake, not that a piece is going to cause any problems, but a cloth is the way to go.
Goes without say that the reason you'll need a tight fit is that if the engine ingest a large amount of air, it will stall.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS, T !
My Main concern was the 37K miles and any threat of carbon chunks falling off and being an issue with the Turbo... as someone warned of awhile back , AND whether CRC would work for the Amount of build-up over those miles.
I copied many of the CRC posts made so a friend can help me with the particulars IF CRC is not an issue.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
745 Posts
If you're injecting it through the PCV valve hose, wouldn't you also need to block off the open end on the PCV valve itself as well? Guess I'm a bit confused as to which "open end" you're suppose to block off since you mention about not using a paper towel because it could flake off and get sucked into the intake.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,107 Posts
Pull the hose off the pcv valve and use that open hose to inject the solution, and then the pcv valve is out of the picture.

Also, if you read the CRC info, there'll not be large pieces of carbon removed.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
745 Posts
Ah, got it--thanks...although in my case I think I need to pull the hose going from the OCC to the intake manifold since the hose that's currently connected to my PCV valve no longer connecs directly to the intake manifold... ;)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The friend who'll help me with the CRC called them for another reason.
In the conversation he mentioned my planned CRC treatment - and saying "easy driver" - the guy offered that he'd seen as much or more carbon build-up from Easy drivers than aggressive.
Can THAT really BE & Why?

He also said he preferred CRC Injection - "at the Air Filter" (Intake?) for better spray "atomization" thru the Throttle body & Turbo. Only downside is IF the hose path has a DIP that promotes puddling of the spray.

No idea what that means but it's helpful to get your critiques of theories of guys in the business.

P.S. Re OCC in Winter, what's the OCC "plan" if traveling in a freeze area and your car is in a motel lot (outside vs home garage)?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,107 Posts
Ah, got it--thanks...although in my case I think I need to pull the hose going from the OCC to the intake manifold since the hose that's currently connected to my PCV valve no longer connecs directly to the intake manifold... ;)
May not be a problem, but I'd put a vacuum cap or tape over the open exit tube of the occ to be sure.

The friend who'll help me with the CRC called them for another reason.
In the conversation he mentioned my planned CRC treatment - and saying "easy driver" - the guy offered that he'd seen as much or more carbon build-up from Easy drivers than aggressive.
Can THAT really BE & Why?

He also said he preferred CRC Injection - "at the Air Filter" (Intake?) for better spray "atomization" thru the Throttle body & Turbo. Only downside is IF the hose path has a DIP that promotes puddling of the spray.

No idea what that means but it's helpful to get your critiques of theories of guys in the business.

P.S. Re OCC in Winter, what's the OCC "plan" if traveling in a freeze area and your car is in a motel lot (outside vs home garage)?
Yes, as the car doesn't have a MAF sensor you can spray into the intake tube at air filter, but the spray needs to through the air intake, turbo, down to the intercooler then up into the intake manifold then to the valves. Whether the distance and/or the intercooler position would create any problems, I really don't know.

Same as easy vs hard driving, I have no knowledge that one would cause more of a buildup on the intake valves more than the other, especially in this dgi engine.

As far as freezing, only heard of a couple instances when the car was exposed to very low temps, and in one instance, the occ was placed quite a distance from the engine which added to the problem. If, in fact it did freeze, similar to the one way valves installed if they become inoperable, certainly don't know how one would know unless seeing oil residue at unusual locations. It would be similar to the PCV valve being stuck closed, a lot of pressure builds up inside the engine looking for a place to get out. I would consider this a very remote possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts