Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Optima Hybrid Ex has been in the shop at the Kia dealership for about 8 weeks now. Bad gas engine. Covered under warranty. High miles at about 76,000. It has the premium tech package. Interior and exterior are in great shape. Fully serviced. New tires. It's my wife's commuter car.

She's fed up. Can't get call backs. So she walks onto the sales floor to complain. Kia turns the "meet and greet" into a sales opportunity. They are offering a trade in price of $19k. It "seems" like a fair offer. But I feel hamstrung because in reality, we can't realistically shop around until it's out of the shop.

If they are willing to pay $19k, then I'm guessing they know they can sell it for more. But, it doesn't book that high.

Something doesn't seem right AND we feel trapped.

I would love feedback on other possible ideas, other than waiting out the repair.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Are they discounting the car your contemplating purchasing or are they selling it for the list price plus additives?
If no discount they'll just add that to the trade in to make one believe they're getting a great deal.
Example, list $35000 will sell for let's say $32000, price for '19 Hybrid trade in $16000, so w/o a discount you'll get
$19,000 off the list price of $35000, but in reality it's only $16000 as you could purchase the vehicle for $32000.
There must be a "trick" as you can't understand how they can give you more than the car is worth, that's the answer, they aren't.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you're right. The amount of the vehicle they are selling books at that amount using the vin on carfax and pricing it out on kbb.com.

Ironically, your example price is close to the actual deal. 2019 Rav4 xle premium with 25k miles. They are selling for $34.5k.

So, it would seem they bought the Rav4 well below blue book?

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
Used cars are getting a bump in trade in and resale prices, this is is partly due to the chip shortage in the world right now. We have 50K on our 2017 Optima Hybrid EX and since taking it in for service, the dealer has been callin and emailing us to come in and make a trade. When I was checking prices in January, a good KBB rating was giving around $12k, now it is $16K. We have been looking into PHEV CUVs but Hyundai/KIA don’t have theirs out yet. The RAV4 is’nt high on our list but as you know, you can’t find those around. We did drive the Santa Fe Hybrid and we like that car, it’s actually quiet inside and has a luxury feel to it. Of course there aren’t any deals on them as they are new and not a lot on the market, so dealers are selling at cost, at least it’s better than the Telluride, where they are selling with big markups.

That RAV4 is used so they should have some room to bargain on that end as well. Work it from both sides to get the best deal possible. You don’t know how far they will go until you try. Keep in mind they may give you the price but bump the interest rate but you can refinance elsewhere with a lower rate if they do that. With deals not happening in most places and our car being in good condition, it’s hard to give it up. I’ve driven the VW ID.4 and it’s pretty good, it was a 1st Edition and it had massaging seats and 2 position memory settings on both front seats, which is a good deal. Plus the range of 250 miles is pretty good. The new Hyundai IONIQ 5 looks like it will be a good one as well. I think it is rated at 300 miles of range. Of course depending on how you drive, you may get less, especially on the highway. If you need to do the deal now, work it to your advantahe.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
By the way, what was the issue you guys had with your vehicle? I drove mine around recently (wife’s ride) and have been thinking of making some wheel/tire changes to 18 or 19” and possibly changing the suspension. Don’t want to spend money on it if I’ll end up having issues and losing money soon after the changes. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, what was the issue you guys had with your vehicle? I drove mine around recently (wife’s ride) and have been thinking of making some wheel/tire changes to 18 or 19” and possibly changing the suspension. Don’t want to spend money on it if I’ll end up having issues and losing money soon after the changes. Thanks in advance.
It began knocking the Saturday night before it died. It was losing power. I told my wife to take it in first thing on Monday, but it died on Sunday. We were told it's an issue with the gas engine, but I don't have details. It's covered under the warranty. This car is not covered under the class action suit for the knock sensor. But in my opinion, Kia quality is suspect. We LOVE the car, otherwise. But only time will tell if this issue will be seen by thousands of others as I'm sure we're a small percentage of owners putting so many miles on it in 2 years.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,265 Posts
Some folks will experience issues and some won’t, this seems to be common among all manufacturer. About 20 years ago I got an Audi A4 and drove 73+k in less than 2 years (much like you), I killed that 2 year/24K miles in a couple of months and when it developed a leak in the power steering, I was sure this was one of those German car issues. They didn’t have an answer as I was the first to have that issue and had to call corporate to get info on a repair. The repair was costly, so I traded it and never got another until a couple of months ago. Since then, i’ve pretty much given up on owning a car and just lease them, to avoid issue later. Strangely enough, I did purchase our Optima Hybrid (and the Stinger but traded it for the e-tron) before the lease was up and it has been doing well, now with 50K miles. I would like it to last until at least the 100K mark but, I’ll probably trade it for a PHEV CUV or a Korean or Japanese EV, if they come out with a long range version.

This Hybrid has been the best of the 3 from KIA, quiet enough to be on par with some luxury vehicles and I love using the Sport mode on it. I consider it a Sporty Hybrid, I even installed lowering springs on it. It’s lower to the ground than the Stinger and handles great. If it has to get a replacement engine, I‘ll take it and see how long it lasts, as long as they don’t screw up my car. I’m hoping yours come out fine and that new engine lasts as long as you plan on owning it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you regarding all makes can have issues here and there. But Kia seems to be having a string of issues. When the car was working, we loved it. And Sport mode is amazing. The wife wants AWD, now, and I'm gun shy about going with Kia. She's leaning toward waiting out the repair, going on 9 weeks and no loaner now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts