Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Jeep Svc guy quoted New Coolant Svc @ $139 for wife's Jeep -- BUT 2 other Quotes were in the Low 200's, surely because they use Chem Treatments WITH the Coolant Change.
(1)
For my SXL, Is the Chem Kit @ $70-$80 extra worth it ? / Extra Cost is OK IF the Value is there ..... and (2) I read of multiple Water Rinses = Fill / Heat Eng/ Cool / Drain / Re-Fill Same way X? Times ... to Remove Chem residue. .
So when negotiating What's the min # of Water Rinses that way to be Quoted for?

For 45K Plug Chg ... NGK1422 Plugs -- typical here -- don't show on NGK site for 2.0T's --- so I presume (being an easy driver) I'll go with the Denso (or Kia version of it) that AdvAuto shows as OEM.
Any other Plug thoughts are appreciated.

No way to do both DIY.... Thanks as always!!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
A bottle of coolant flush treatment is about $6. Surely you can add that yourself? No tools are needed, just bare hands.

However, I'd say for a 2016 car, there will be no chemical residue so the flush chemicals are unnecessary. Have you abused your coolant system somehow, like did you add unusual ingredients to your cooling system over time?

But after having done the coolant flush myself, I'm wondering if there is any way you can wait a few more years before doing yours. Have you put a lot of miles on the car? Also, the coolant flush is a no-tools procedure, just need one bare hand. Much easier than any other procedure you could do to the car. I've also flushed a jeep 4.7L V8, and the Kia Optima was much easier.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Approaching the 45K mi. for 2.0T Plugs ..SO.. At 5-years (bought 12/23/15) I just assumed new Coolant was called for and wondered about the Chem Treatment while changing it.... And, I read the multi-drains were to rid the system of the Chem added now to "clean it out" -Vs- anything created naturally over the 5 yrs. -- and I don't know - how much fluid there would be to drain in multi-drains - and where it can legally go (ie) down my driveway into the street and into the street rain-gutter? Such a big deal about disposing of oil I just assumed the worst for Coolants, too.
IF 5 years isn't enough to worry about a Chem Clean-out - That's Great!
Appreciate the Reply!!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Just dump the coolant and add new antifreeze along with distilled water and you'll be good to go.
Never a fan of the 1422 plugs as they were for a Mitsubishi, so if I had a choice I'd get the OEM
NGK plugs, I believe SILZKR8E9G over the internet, but have used the colder Denso with no
problems, I believe 22's..

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
...- and where it can legally go (ie) down my driveway into the street and into the street rain-gutter? Such a big deal about disposing of oil I just assumed the worst for Coolants, too....
What does the fluid look like now? Still bright red or green? Or rusty brown? That answer would guide me as to whether a flush is needed or not.

Wny not pour any coolant down the kitchen drain? I pay my city about $50/month to clean my drain water to EPA specs, so I make it their problem. Yeah oil has to go to walmart in my case, haha...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
140 Posts
Mine is still bright green after 7 years and 55k miles. Only reason I need to drain is to replace the leaking gasket at the thermostat. For some reason it started leaking there. I pressure tested and sure enough found the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts